3 taps - what would you chose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happen to have a 3 tap setup. They are IPA of the month, seasonal and sour. I think most would have a house PA or blond, IPA , and seasonal.

IPA, seasonal lager(pilsner, Helles, Vienna lager, Oktoberfest...), APA or ESB

I only have three taps and that is what I do. I've tried the Porters and stouts but I don't drink those enough to take up tap room.

I have three taps and my goal is to usually have my taps situated as follows:

Tap 1: porter or stout
Tap 2: seasonal/belgian/specialty
Tap 3: Some type of hop forward beer like an APA, IPA, or IIPA

For example, I currently have an Edmund Fitzgerald porter clone, Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde, and an imperial red IPA on tap.

In the end, it's your taps, so it really depends on your personal flavor preferences.

I currently bottle, but if I had a 3 tap kegerator, I'd go with a session British beer (mild, Irish stout, bitter, Irish Red), a cider, and a seasonal tap. I'd still bottle the occasional big beer that ages well.

currently:
AmericanPale ale
IIPA
Saison with Brettanomyces
Boysenberry Oud Bruin

I almost always have something hoppy
something seasonal (winter is porter/stout - summer is pilsner/wit)
then the occasional sour and im working pretty hard to nail down a hoppy funky saison (saison yeast co-pitched with strains of brett, aged for a few months thendryhopped heavily. can be quite refreshing

but all in asll, its just what i want to brew or a recipe i'm trying out.
Brews a T'Mave Pivo yesterday, I've got another funky saison booked in, a belgian blonde with brett possibly an imperial stout (i'm trying to fill up my ageing stand before I have surgery which will put me out of drinking and brewing for around 2 months.

Hmm, I bottle and tend to have 10-15 varieties available, but if I were forced to limit it to 3, I'd say something light like an American Wheat, something medium maybe an altbier or Vienna lager, and something dark, probably porter. But then I am missing out on a good pale ale, so maybe switch out the wheat for a Rye PA.
D**n, too many good beers to limit yourself to only 3.

I currently have 5 taps. My general plan is to have an IPA, stout/porter, Belgian, wheat, and a NA offering like root beer on tap most of the time.

four taps now: pale ale, porter, wheat/ipa/stout, experimental (fruit or some other adjunct). pale ale & porter always, wheat/ipa/stout depending on season/mood.

1 seltzer
2 pale ale
3 pale ale

I had 4 taps until recently, one was seltzer other three were typically pale ale. Added two more and currently have three pales, seltzer and 2 altbierish. With 1 pale waiting for a tap. I am prepping for a party in September soon by testing some new styles so about to be filling the taps with something different.

One hoppy beer
One low hop beer (cream ale, lagers, Belgian)
One misc for browns, sours, whatever

1 seltzer
2 pale ale
3 pale ale

I had 4 taps until recently, one was seltzer other three were typically pale ale. Added two more and currently have three pales, seltzer and 2 altbierish. With 1 pale waiting for a tap. I am prepping for a party in September soon by testing some new styles so about to be filling the taps with something different.
My wife drinks seltzer water, how does it work with a keg? What pressure do you set the reg at for a store bought co2 volume. Do you get any off flavors with the water sitting in the keg for a while? Unless perfect like normal seltzer water she wont drink it.Cant blame her who wants off tasting water

1 quad
2 something light apa, wheat, esb,ect
3 dipa, stout, Porter, something a bit heavier depending on the season.

I recently acquired a fridge that had been modified to be a 4-tap kegerator (4 holes at the front). I currently have two taps, and I'll get two next week.

My plan is to always have on tap these three "types" of beer:
- A "hoppy beer" (IPA, Double IPA, session IPA, maybe APA)
- A "blond" beer (blonde ale, cream ale, pilsner, Kölsch, etc.)
- A "amber" beer (american amber, irish red ale, bitter, California Common, etc.)

The 4th tap will likely be reserved for seltzer (I'd like to experiment with homemade syrups), and maybe sometimes a hard cider, a hard lemonade, that type of things. That' the plan! Now I just have to brew enough in the coming weeks to start the pipeline.

IPA for me, German Pils for the BMC crowd (and me), and a porter or stout or brown ale; some people really like the dark beers (two of my neighbors are always asking for this).

I've got a 4th tap and used to run root beer on that one, but since the kiddies all skedattled, it's not been wet lately.

I have 6 taps and thus worked this backwards on what I'd eliminate. Currently I have a sour peach saison, RIS, amber lager, pale ale, water, and cider

To eliminate 3, I'd bottle the sour (do so with most of them anyways), cider and RIS.

I'd keep one tap with water - don't judge - SWMBO loves the sparkling water.

The remaining 2 would be one hoppy and then something else (such as the Amber lager at the moment).

There was a similar thread that asked the same thing but in a "craft beer bar" setting and limiting them to 3 taps or at least stating what the 3 "must have on tap" beers should be.
those 3 were....
1 - an IPA for the hop heads
2 - a porter/stout for the malt men
3 - a blonde/pale ale for the `just converted` BMC drinkers

I personally don't get to brew as often as i'd like to so i doubt i'd be able to keep anything consistantly on tap but if i HAD to choose 3, it would probably be a cider, a stout, and a marzen.

I have 4 taps and it is most of the time time like this: Hefeweizen, APA, Munich Helles, Porter.

I have a 3 err now 5 tap set up. When I was rolling with 3 I would keep an APA or IPA in one slot, brown or wheat depending on time on year in slot 2, then a stout.

My wife drinks seltzer water, how does it work with a keg? What pressure do you set the reg at for a store bought co2 volume. Do you get any off flavors with the water sitting in the keg for a while? Unless perfect like normal seltzer water she wont drink it.Cant blame her who wants off tasting water

I originally pressurized to match commercial but turns out we both prefer it at a lower carbonation level. So now everything is just on 12psi in my kegerator which puts it at around 2.5 I think? I forget I dialed it in to my preferred level for beer years ago and haven't looked back. The key to making good seltzer I have found is spring water. I use Poland springs personally and all sources are different but I am a huge fan of Poland spring water so works for me. Also use "Italia garden" lemon / lime juice for flavor to taste if you want.

I'd do Cold Brew Coffee, Soda/sparkling water, Beer with a 3 tap setup. That is why I have a 5 tap minimum when I upgrade from my single, lol.

I'd have an IPA, another IPA, and a stout. Why? Because they are my taps and that's what I drink! :D

Back