New and a few first timer problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anamalier

Reaction score
Hi. I got a scoby from amazon, and was afraid that it could have died in route, because a sudden cold front came down, and I think the mail would have been frozen, or very cold. I got the scoby, and started the tea and so on. I put the scoby on top, and it sunk to the bottom later on, and it still is at the bottom.

The tea is very dark, so I cannot tell if the scoby is doing anything. It is now the 2nd day. I did not want to move the jar much because I read that you are not supposed to move it. I placed a lamp behind it, and see the scoby It is thicker than it was, as though "bloated" and little tendrils are laying on the bottom.

Now, this mornng, I think my problem is that the room where it is at, is too cold for the scoby to ferment faster. Rom temperature I wonder, should I place a heat source next to the jar?

What temperature should the tea be at while fermenting?

I forgot to mention above that yesterday I put in some white vinegar as well, just a few tablespoons.

Today, I just bought an organic unflavored kombucha from the grocery store (I did not know they had it there before). I will take out some of the tea, and pour in the real kombucha.

Sounds like you don't have a thermometer strip on your brewing vessel? Consider picking one up from Amazon for $4 so you know the temp. According to The Big Book of Kombucha I'm reading (newbie myself) the recommended temp range is 75 - 85F with ideal being 78 - 80. Room temperature in my house meant below 68 on the cold granite counter so I purchased a seedling heating pad from Amazon for $13. Unfortunately it has no thermostat and I'm now at 84, so still figuring out how to manage temps.

The book also says its fine if your SCOBY sinks to the bottom b/c the new layer will always grow on top no matter where the mother SCOBY sits.

Thanks High snows, That's true. We keep the house very cool here, so the words "room temperature have very different meanings. The heating mat is probably what will do the trick. I just ordered one. I have a temperature strip but did not think to put it on. Also adding the "real" kombucha helped a lot.

Give it some more time. If the SCOBY floats, it will get thicker as it grows a new layer. If it sinks, the new skin will form across the top. What's also interesting to watch is if you use a smaller diameter SCOBY that floats, the surface will fill in and make a cap that covers the surface. Very adaptable.

Ideal temp is 75-85, although I have had some at 65 ish that are ok. Mainly it just takes longer at lower temps.

I think I am coming down from my anxiety attack. I still think the Amazon scoby looks quite nasty. It is nearly black. It is still on the bottom of the gallon jar. The tea smells fragrant and not bad (not moldy or musty). After a week there is a slight cream-like topping starting. About 2 days ago I added a few heating elements around it. I bought a lizard lamp, and also a seedling mat. I have a temperature gauge near them. 80 degrees f. Okay, so I was thinking about putting it out of its mysery, but now, I am giving it more time. I started a new batch from a store bought "GTS" kombucha just for back up.

I use a seed mat and lizard lamp inside a fridge/fermentation chamber. Works well.

The second try is actually working out better/faster. I think it was all about how cold it is.

1/10 to 1/26. I just tasted the batch. It is amazing. The scoby is like a thin pancake, not a big puffy thing.

I used 8 black tea bags, and 2 herbal "Celestial Seasonings" Bengal Spice. It dosent need anything else. I can drink it as it is.

Ok, I want to make my own kombucha scoby and I wanted to try using a bottle of raw unfiltered unflavored booch, but I bought kombucha vinegar instead Would I be able to use this? I don't want to make a vinegar product I want a tea to drink. Also, I have a ACV scoby could I use that to make tea kombucha?

Back