Cutting the Cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scturo

Reaction score
So it's been a year since I gave up cable TV. My wife, as usual, was hesitant to cancel our cable. Just like when we cancelled our house phone.

But I did it anyways without telling anyone. Two weeks later, neither my wife or kids noticed. I did get an attic antenna for local channels, and we've been longtime Netflix and Amazon Prime members. So instead of paying $140 a month for DirectTV, Netflix and Amazon Prime, we pay $20 a month.

The only thing I feel like I gave up was espn. But it is worth the savings.

Who else has cut the Cord? How has it worked out. Seems like this is the way the industry is headed.

Been wanting to do this for a while, but have to find a way to still get food network, amc (walking dead), and maybe like TBS or something.

I cut cable out in 2013. Wife was furious at first but has now accepted it. The best way you can adapt to not having cable is by realizing that just because a show comes out doesn't mean you have to immediately watch it. Patience, and watch a ton of stuff that's already on Hulu or Prime or Netflix.

My monthly to Comcast is right around $300. That includes the home phone, cable and internet. We don't even have a home phone hooked up anymore yet I am still paying. Looking to get rid of the phone and go to basic cable, but I need the internet. Will also need to figure a way to get AMC and HBO.....

My monthly to Comcast is right around $300. That includes the home phone, cable and internet. We don't even have a home phone hooked up anymore yet I am still paying. Looking to get rid of the phone and go to basic cable, but I need the internet. Will also need to figure a way to get AMC and HBO.....

You can get HBO NOW for $15 a month; AMC is dragging their feet but will probably eventually have an online version free of the cable provide requirement, I mean other than whatever they're doing here: https://www.cutcabletoday.com/amc-live-stream/

I use an hdtv antenna in my attic. I have a smart tv with Netflix. I share Amazon with my sister, and I use a friend's Hulu. They both use my Netflix in trade.

I have the 4k Netflix, so I believe I'm only paying $12 for everything.

My wife still wanted certain channels and occasionally a movie. So I bought an Android TV Box. Wiped the box clean, installed Kodi (and some fancy add-ons), and purchased a vpn (virtual private network). Upped my Internet to 150mbps ($65 with Comcast) and now stream anything I want and super fast. You really only need about 10mbps to stream though. The VPN (I use NordVPN) is a nice security option, and blocks my Internet provider from knowing what I'm streaming. Is it illegal? No. It's kinda a grey area... at least for now. You can learn more by Googling android boxs, kodi, and vpns.

:mug:

For those asking, AMC is on slingTV. That's $20-$25 a month. I use that, in addition to Hulu and HBONow. total for all those is about $50. Problem is the internet service is costing me $80 to run the multiple devices in the house. I have to do better shopping around for that. If i had a better router I could probably get a lower speed internet. All told maybe I'm saving a few bucks a month, but i like paying the multiple smaller amounts throughout the month instead of getting the $160 comcast bill.

I use an hdtv antenna in my attic. I have a smart tv with Netflix. I share Amazon with my sister, and I use a friend's Hulu. They both use my Netflix in trade.

My wife still wanted certain channels and occasionally a movie. So I bought an Android TV Box. Wiped the box clean, installed Kodi (and some fancy add-ons), and purchased a vpn (virtual private network). Upped my Internet to 150mbps ($65 with Comcast) and now stream anything I want and super fast. You really only need about 10mbps to stream though. The VPN (I use NordVPN) is a nice security option, and blocks my Internet provider from knowing what I'm streaming. Is it illegal? No. It's kinda a grey area... at least for now. You can learn more by Googling android boxs, kodi, and vpns.

Yes KODI! awesome for watching movies and tv shows I can't get with hulu. Terrible for me at least at getting live events. I'm struggling with some sports loss.

^^^^. I also got a Firestick recently, so now I got espn back, and free PPVs. Don't know how long Kodi will last, but I'll still be good.

For those asking, AMC is on slingTV. That's $20-$25 a month. I use that, in addition to Hulu and HBONow. total for all those is about $50. Problem is the internet service is costing me $80 to run the multiple devices in the house. I have to do better shopping around for that. If i had a better router I could probably get a lower speed internet. All told maybe I'm saving a few bucks a month, but i like paying the multiple smaller amounts throughout the month instead of getting the $160 comcast bill.

I'm at $7 for Hulu, $15 for HBONOW, $5 for XBOXLive Gold, and probably $10 for Amazon Prime but we had that when we still had cable and order so much with free shipping that it's kind of a wash at this point. Add in $68 for internet and we're at $95 per month versus the $145 I was paying for cable plus internet. At least this way I can nix a service easily or add Netflix or whatever. Honestly, I may drop HBO for awhile, even though I use it a lot, but that's the nice part about having that freedom rather than having the options dictated to me by a cable company.

I got a FireStick because someone at work told me you can totally jailbreak them, and get all sorts of stuff, never figured out how to do that, but enjoy having the firestick.

I got laid off during the height of the recession just before my 60th birthday. We cut off cable the next month and have not felt the least urge to restart it.
A couple of months ago we got fed up with paying almost $50 a month for a landline and cut off the phone. We have a cell phone now for way less.

We cut the cord many years ago. We have an UHF/High VHF antenna for receiving the HD signal. We also have a Tivo Romio (and older Tivo HD downstairs). The Romio is a four tuner HD guided DVR...works real nice. We also do Netflix for the kids. Kids didn't mind and find a way to easily adapt...if you give them the chance.

Most cities only need a UHF antenna for receving all channels. Chicago area is one of the two, that I know of, that you're forced (thanks FCC) to have an antenna capable of UHF and high VHF. If you're going to do it, don't skimp on good quad shield rg6.

I normally think of payments in five, and ten year terms. I look at the total and ask myself if I would want to buy cable Tv for $x,xxx for five years...or $xx,xxx?

I used to work in the TV news business and quit because I despised the political correctness and how East and West coast liberals insisted on ramming their point of view down everyone's throat. I used to be a news junkie and watched many more hours of TV than i care to think about.
I dumped cable about 5 years ago, after realizing I just really didn't watch TV that much anymore. I do watch some Netflix and movies on Amazon prime.
I don't miss TV news or other programs, although I hear people talking about some shows at work and wonder if I'm missing out. I watch some sports that I stream for free.
Without TV, I spend more time outside, reading, playing music, brewing and surfing the internet. There is so much knowledge to be gained for free on the internet or from other sources that it seems like a waste to be "entertained" by TV shows while enduring relentless commercials. Its really amazing what you can get done if you simply reduce your TV watching time.

I could never in a million years cut the cord.
I'm the ultimate channel surfer and need instant replaceable satisfaction. With the endless bills we pay My cable bill is the least of my worries and the one I get the most happiness from!!

For those looking to cut the home phone cost, look into ooma. It's VOIP, good quality, and cheap as all hell. Our cell numbers are given to friends and family. Businesses or anything else gets the home number. I pay $4.23 a month. Worth every penny.

Its really amazing what you can get done if you simply reduce your TV watching time.

This. I get news from the local paper and interwebz, the latter of which is so awful I might stop that. (rant barely avoided, whew)

Other than a random football game on the weekends (I'm not much of a fan), I don't ever turn it on. My next TV event is the Masters (I watch the whole thing). Can't wait.

I don't hate TV, I've just got so many other things I want to do with my life.

Love Kodi!

Have you tried the Pro Sport add on?

Pro Sport works good, also check out Sportsdevil/Live Sports/ Atdhenet.tv and Pheonix Sports/Sports World Live works great for sports and PPV events.

Pro Sport works good, also check out Sportsdevil/Live Sports/ Atdhenet.tv and Pheonix Sports/Sports World Live works great for sports and PPV events.

I've tried all of these and nothing comes through. Been wondering if it needs an update or re-install.

I've tried all of these and nothing comes through. Been wondering if it needs an update or re-install.

What version are you running. You should be at least at Jarvis 16.1. Krypton should be stable in a month or so.

How good is your wifi? It shoudl be at least 10Mbs

Been off the cable for a while. Kodi and an antenna gets me everything I need.

200 is your hard wire speed. Your wifi will be less. You need to download Speedtest on your phone and do a Speedtest check for download speed. With 200, you shoudl be good, but it depends on the make up of your house if you are getting enough speed.

200 is your hard wire speed. Your wifi will be less. You need to download Speedtest on your phone and do a Speedtest check for download speed. With 200, you shoudl be good, but it depends on the make up of your house if you are getting enough speed.

Been running the test and its about 60-70 at its best and 30-40 during the sluggish times.

Been running the test and its about 60-70 at its best and 30-40 during the sluggish times.

That's pretty good. I typically get around 50/50 and I don't have any issues. The only issue I have are dead spots in the house. I'm working on getting additional routers to extend the wifi signal.

That is really good. Your wifi should not be the problem. If you already are running the 16.1 Jarvis version, try reinstalling through the hub wizard setup.

So I was just talking with two others about this at work and one guy brought up losing the DVR function. With Kodi, is there a way to "record" something?

So I was just talking with two others about this at work and one guy brought up losing the DVR function. With Kodi, is there a way to "record" something?

That will move you from the "grey area" right into illegal. Lol!

Why record it when it's always available on kodi? Just stream it when you want...

There's other apps too, like CinemaBoxHD. It's best for a phone or tablet. You can download a movie with it if you want it on the go and will be somewhere without reception. Pretty much everything on there was ripped from kodi anyways. Google cinemabox hd and look for the download. Pick a movie you want, then after it begins, there will be a little download icon on the upper right corner. Click it, and off you go...

Disclaimer: Downloading movies like this is illegal, and I don't recommend it. ;)

i cut the cord and it will be 2 years this April.

Bought all new Visio smart tvs in the process, but I am not one of those that "needs" a huge tv. so put the old 32" in one kids room for the old nintendo, then 2 new 28" visio and a 40" visio for the Living room. Went visio because it had all the smart features built in, and they do work nicely. Kitchen got a non-smart Samsung 28" that we had on a western digital streaming box, which sucked, upgraded it to Roku stick black friday, really works well.

Still have comcast internet. 72/12 all day long.. but also run a gigabit lan inside the house
and have netflix, hulu (commercial free), prime by default, and run a plex server (read into that what you will). i love Plex.

Asus router (don't remember model #, 3 ant...) and the farthest devices are hardwired.

Range Extender at the middle point. It all works rather well. but sometimes there is a lot of resources going on, and I am close to the comcast new limit, which stinks. 1 TB, I average 950 GB... but so far have NOT gone over yet..

Why record it when it's always available on kodi? Just stream it when you want...

That's what I am not sure of. So, say for a Sports event that I want to watch. Is it live? Or is it stored and I can watch when I want to? So if it is streamed can I "Pause" it?

You can fast forward on Kodi, so it's pretty much like already having it DVR'd.

Sports: that's a good question. Not sure about pausing live tv. And as far as I know they don't go into a database for on demand viewing.

i cut the cord and it will be 2 years this April.

Bought all new Visio smart tvs in the process, but I am not one of those that "needs" a huge tv. so put the old 32" in one kids room for the old nintendo, then 2 new 28" visio and a 40" visio for the Living room. Went visio because it had all the smart features built in, and they do work nicely. Kitchen got a non-smart Samsung 28" that we had on a western digital streaming box, which sucked, upgraded it to Roku stick black friday, really works well.

Still have comcast internet. 72/12 all day long.. but also run a gigabit lan inside the house
and have netflix, hulu (commercial free), prime by default, and run a plex server (read into that what you will). i love Plex.

Asus router (don't remember model #, 3 ant...) and the farthest devices are hardwired.

Range Extender at the middle point. It all works rather well. but sometimes there is a lot of resources going on, and I am close to the comcast new limit, which stinks. 1 TB, I average 950 GB... but so far have NOT gone over yet..

WD streamers are pretty ugly, but they wreck the Roku when it comes to audio/video codecs it can play - just about everything. Sure, plex will transcode codecs for you, but I prefer not to do that (plus, if the streamer can play files natively, you can stream from dedicated NAS's that only have DNLA compliance. I've got two of the boxes and they will even stream bluray 3D from my NAS. The WD boxes are terrible at streaming from online services, so I never recommend them for that. Roku et al are much better.

If you've hardwired the farthest devices, have you moved the Asus router to the middle of your house, and up high, for best coverage? I have one of those superb Asus wifi routers as well, but I did wire my whole house for gigabit ethernet, so only mobile devices need the router.

Plex is a pretty neat app, but I never really saw it's advantage with the WD boxes. With Roku might be different. I do use Twonky to serve music to my audio receiver, from my PC-based collection.

Back