Recipes for non craft drinkers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smitte10

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm going to be brewing all the beers for a freinds wedding in a few months and I am looking for a few more recipes for non craft people.

I all ready have one I just put in the keg to carb that is a verry light 2 row cascade smash (9 pound 2 row 1 oz cascade boil 1 oz dry for 7 days) came out very bud light miller light but that's what these people drink.

I need maby 2 or 3 more basic recipes that non craft drinkers would love.

I have 4 kegs to play with I was gona bring either 3 or 4.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

One of my biggest hits every year is a Citra hopped wheat. ~45% 2 row, 5% Vienna, and 50% wheat to ~1.045-1.050. Bittered to ~15 IBUs with a clean bittering hop then .5 or 1.0 oz (depending on my mood and how much Citra character I want that go round) of Citra at 10 and flame out. I typically use wlp320 to keep the banana and clove notes down (while still having some), but any cleaner yeast would probably work similarly. Or if the people attending like wheats, you could maybe use wlp300.

Henchman24 thanks that sounds phenomenal I love a good wheat and have never done one yet.

What's your preferred bitting hop I like saaz and cascade with the occasional chinook.

I recommend Hefeweizen and Cream Ale. Hefes are usually loved by all as long as you don't get too crazy on the banana/clove flavors. Cream Ale is pretty BMC friendly, I've done the Cream of 3 Crops and a Spotted Cow clone that some non-craft people liked.

I would also look into some craft styles that are less challenging for the drinker in case anyone is more curious and just haven't been exposed. Maybe a Pale Ale or Brown Ale that isn't too hoppy.

Make a fruit beer of some sort.

My wife doesn't like beer but she'll drink this beerless beer recipe:
60% 2-row
35% flaked rice
5% carafoam

I don't put any hops in it but something that is generically fruity like Delta or Smaragd would be good.

Add a half gallon of tart cherry juice to fermenter

After kegged and carbed, a week before serving, add more fruit juice to taste. Add a little at a time.

I recommend Hefeweizen and Cream Ale. Hefes are usually loved by all as long as you don't get too crazy on the banana/clove flavors. Cream Ale is pretty BMC friendly, I've done the Cream of 3 Crops and a Spotted Cow clone that some non-craft people liked.

I would also look into some craft styles that are less challenging for the drinker in case anyone is more curious and just haven't been exposed. Maybe a Pale Ale or Brown Ale that isn't too hoppy.

Of never tried a hefe cause of the
decoction mash have you ever tried one with out that step

Make a fruit beer of some sort.

My wife doesn't like beer but she'll drink this beerless beer recipe:
60% 2-row
35% flaked rice
5% carafoam

I don't put any hops in it but something that is generically fruity like Delta or Smaragd would be good.

Add a half gallon of tart cherry juice to fermenter

After kegged and carbed, a week before serving, add more fruit juice to taste. Add a little at a time.

That sounds delicious and like something my girlfreind as Well as the bride would love I think that might be one for the night. Thanks

Henchman24 thanks that sounds phenomenal I love a good wheat and have never done one yet.

What's your preferred bitting hop I like saaz and cascade with the occasional chinook.

I mostly use hopshots (probably columbus derived), magnum, millennium, or warrior. I save anything with flavor that I like for late additions. I find chinook gives a harsh bitterness and I like it late in the boil or in hopstands, so I rarely use it for bittering.

Decoction mashes are not really necessary. Single infusion is good enough for most everything with today's malts. Some will swear by a decoction mash, I have tried it and don't think it really makes a difference.

I mostly use hopshots (probably columbus derived), magnum, millennium, or warrior. I save anything with flavor that I like for late additions. I find chinook gives a harsh bitterness and I like it late in the boil or in hopstands, so I rarely use it for bittering.

Decoction mashes are not really necessary. Single infusion is good enough for most everything with today's malts. Some will swear by a decoction mash, I have tried it and don't think it really makes a difference.

I'm not super familiar with hopshots I know its the co2 syring but I don't know anything about them do you still use your late addition aroma/flavor hop or just syring, how much do You used , is there just the one varitity ext

1. Biermuncher cream of 3 crops.
2. Don't make a beer, make a wine. Green apple riesling but make it to 5 gallons. toss it in a keg, carb it, and it will go super fast.. around here we call it the panty dropper...

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/Islan...ium=shopping?gclid=COjSrOfbutECFYJYfgodcRkLIg

Thanks for the post.

Panty dropper lol that's great I might have to make it just for the name sounds verry good though what kind of yeast are you using and is it sweet or tart. Do you back sweeten like a cider.

Are you going to include anything for those who do like craft beer? Maybe a juicy IPA or a porter or some such?

Yeah, that's why I added in APA or Brown Ale. If I'm at a wedding, and someone has homebrewed the beer, I kind of expect a couple of typical homebrew styles, but the OP knows the audience best.

Are you going to include anything for those who do like craft beer? Maybe a juicy IPA or a porter or some such?

From my understanding most of the people there are very plain Jane bud light miller light.

But I was gona bring one keg of craft maby a porter or a ipa (at least for me to drink).

But I wanted to keep that on the lighter side so they can start to experiment with some craft see if I can't get a few of them to convert to the better side of craft

One more vote for a cream ale - Biermuncher's cream of three crops is super BMC-drinker friendly.

Hard to go wrong, especially at a wedding where presumably 1/2 of the guests are female, with a fruit beer. This is not to say that a fruit beer is a "girly drink" or any silly crap like that - but I've found that of my family and friends who've had my beers, the women tend to favor the fruit beers a little more than the men... A nice blueberry ale can be pretty easy and good - or add just about any berry you like to any old wheat beer and you're on a decent track...

Thanks for the post.

Panty dropper lol that's great I might have to make it just for the name sounds verry good though what kind of yeast are you using and is it sweet or tart. Do you back sweeten like a cider.

Just what the kit comes with. Riesling is sweet, you actually stop the fermentation (like cider) but it will still be sweet. it's very easy drinking. it will be a hit..

Biermuncher's Centenial Blonde and Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer are always a hit with the masses.

Biermuncher's Centenial Blonde and Yooper's Fizzy Yellow Beer are always a hit with the masses.

These were the 2 I was going to mention as well. I did this same search just a few days ago, and these were the 2 recipes that kept coming up. I chose to try Yooper's Fizzy Yellow just b/c of the Vienna. Keep us posted on what you end up going with :mug:

One more vote for a cream ale - Biermuncher's cream of three crops is super BMC-drinker friendly.

Hard to go wrong, especially at a wedding where presumably 1/2 of the guests are female, with a fruit beer. This is not to say that a fruit beer is a "girly drink" or any silly crap like that - but I've found that of my family and friends who've had my beers, the women tend to favor the fruit beers a little more than the men... A nice blueberry ale can be pretty easy and good - or add just about any berry you like to any old wheat beer and you're on a decent track...

I do love a cream ale it its definitely making a presence on this post I think that's gona be added to the list as well.

Just what the kit comes with. Riesling is sweet, you actually stop the fermentation (like cider) but it will still be sweet. it's very easy drinking. it will be a hit..

Ok great sounds awesome I think that could be a hit.

These were the 2 I was going to mention as well. I did this same search just a few days ago, and these were the 2 recipes that kept coming up. I chose to try Yooper's Fizzy Yellow just b/c of the Vienna. Keep us posted on what you end up going with :mug:

I will keep everyone posted up in till we tap them at the wedding I appreciate everyone input and all your great suggestions.

Thanks so much for all the help guys.

Kolsch is a great style to try since you have time but do you have temperature control? My wife gave my latest batch approval compared to a commercial version and she hates everything I brew! Would have to check my notes but it was fermented in the 50's, transfer to a keg and left in a freezing cold garage for a month.
8lbs Pilsner and .5lbs Flaked Wheat with Hallertau at 60min to get 15-20 IBU. Used Safale K-97 yeast for the first time as Wyeast wasn't available.

I am pretty sure I got the basic recipe on HBT.

Kolsch is a great style to try since you have time but do you have temperature control? My wife gave my latest batch approval compared to a commercial version and she hates everything I brew! Would have to check my notes but it was fermented in the 50's, transfer to a keg and left in a freezing cold garage for a month.
8lbs Pilsner and .5lbs Flaked Wheat with Hallertau at 60min to get 15-20 IBU. Used Safale K-97 yeast for the first time as Wyeast wasn't available.

I am pretty sure I got the basic recipe on HBT.

Yes I recently got tempeture control best thing in added to my little home brewery yet that sounds good ill look into it thanks l.

So I did 7 batches for my own wedding party:

2 x hefe
1 x IPA
1 x saison
1 x dry cider
1 x dunkel
1 x barleywine

The saison was the first to go, followed very closely by the IPA, followed by all 10 gallons of the hefe. There was a little bit of dunkel and a little bit of cider left, and about half the keg of barleywine. Granted the barleywine was over 13% ABV and I didn't tap it until dessert was served.

Most of the crowd was very into beer but a lot of people were not. Hefeweizen is always a good choice since most people like it: beer newbies, BMC lovers, craft beer nerds, people looking for something fruitier, etc. No decoction mash needed, I've never done one and I've brewed many batches. Toss in some melanoidin or munich malt and you're good to go.

Saison and IPA were incredibly popular with the beer geeks, dry cider was great for wine lovers and gluten-free folks, dunkel was fantastic for people that wanted something a little darker. This was August so I didn't want to do a stout/porter, and I wanted something a little more exciting than brown ale.

I wanted to have a nice variety of styles so everyone could enjoy something, I wanted to stick to traditional styles and I knew I wanted at least one lager. If I could go back, I wouldn't change a thing.

You can also buy a 2.5 gallon keg (AIH has them for like $70) and do something fun like a keg of gin and tonics. I did that and the entire thing was gone. You can also buy a keg of local/craft commercial root beer for the kids. I did that as well and it was a big hit with non-drinkers, adults and kids both.

The logistics of the brewing (timing brew days, fermentation chamber use, kegerator space, plumbing, etc.) was a good bit of work so just make sure you have a plan for every single thing. Have extra CO2, have an extra party tap just in case, etc. My party was at a private residence and I had all kegs in the kegerators a full 3 weeks before the party to make sure they were carbed/settled.

I had so much fun with all the brewing, it was awesome seeing everyone get drunk off my creations and I got nothing but compliments all night which made me pretty damn proud. Feel free to hit me up if you want to talk more!

I'm not super familiar with hopshots I know its the co2 syring but I don't know anything about them do you still use your late addition aroma/flavor hop or just syring, how much do You used , is there just the one varitity ext

I still use my normal hops in the boil, flameout, hopstand, and dry hop. I use the hopshots just to bitter personally. I know some will use them late. The #1 reason I use them is that I have a ton (was given a can of extract last year) and the secondary reason is no hop loss of wort. 1ml equals roughly 10 IBUs... that varies with gravity, but it gives a solid guess. I know there are other varieties of extract/hopshots out there, but I don't think homebrewers have much access to them personally. I've see Kalsec stuff out there, but never tried them personally.

The funny thing about cream ales is that people will scrunch their nose when you tell them and they think of their youth when they tried a Genesee cream ale.... But they can't actually remember what it even tasted like.

http://beercrusades.blogspot.co.nz/2016/04/lets-get-married-guide-to-brewing.html check this out.
I made a simple how to guide for brewing beer for a wedding.

90 guests 7 5.5 gal batches.

Make sure you have a good range of beer.
if you have all golden ales hefeweizens cream ales lagers etc. it can get a bit boring IMO.
I brewed a Hoppy session ale, Amaerican amber, Golden Ale, and english Brown Ale (handpump)
2 kegs of each (1 of the brown ale)

The golden ale disappeared pretty quickly.
the brown ale was mostly gone by the time the dinner started
followed by 1 keg of hoppy session ale
i still had 1/2 keg total (between 2) of the amber
1/4 keg of hoppy session
and 2 glasses of brown ale.

have a rang, get people thinking about what they're drinking a bit more, that way we get people drinking more good beer which is how life should be

So I did 7 batches for my own wedding party:

2 x hefe
1 x IPA
1 x saison
1 x dry cider
1 x dunkel
1 x barleywine

The saison was the first to go, followed very closely by the IPA, followed by all 10 gallons of the hefe. There was a little bit of dunkel and a little bit of cider left, and about half the keg of barleywine. Granted the barleywine was over 13% ABV and I didn't tap it until dessert was served.

Most of the crowd was very into beer but a lot of people were not. Hefeweizen is always a good choice since most people like it: beer newbies, BMC lovers, craft beer nerds, people looking for something fruitier, etc. No decoction mash needed, I've never done one and I've brewed many batches. Toss in some melanoidin or munich malt and you're good to go.

Saison and IPA were incredibly popular with the beer geeks, dry cider was great for wine lovers and gluten-free folks, dunkel was fantastic for people that wanted something a little darker. This was August so I didn't want to do a stout/porter, and I wanted something a little more exciting than brown ale.

I wanted to have a nice variety of styles so everyone could enjoy something, I wanted to stick to traditional styles and I knew I wanted at least one lager. If I could go back, I wouldn't change a thing.

You can also buy a 2.5 gallon keg (AIH has them for like $70) and do something fun like a keg of gin and tonics. I did that and the entire thing was gone. You can also buy a keg of local/craft commercial root beer for the kids. I did that as well and it was a big hit with non-drinkers, adults and kids both.

The logistics of the brewing (timing brew days, fermentation chamber use, kegerator space, plumbing, etc.) was a good bit of work so just make sure you have a plan for every single thing. Have extra CO2, have an extra party tap just in case, etc. My party was at a private residence and I had all kegs in the kegerators a full 3 weeks before the party to make sure they were carbed/settled.

I had so much fun with all the brewing, it was awesome seeing everyone get drunk off my creations and I got nothing but compliments all night which made me pretty damn proud. Feel free to hit me up if you want to talk more!

Thanks for your great post I have most everything I could think of planed out.

I was going to do 4 kegs now I want more so 6. I do t have as much time as I would like (just under 3 months) so some will be in kegarator for longer then others but all will have at least a week.

The day of they will be moved from my house to the venue about 35 minutes away and put in ice bins back on co2 about 3 to 4 hours before serving.

Picnic taps when we get there and an extra just in case and a cooler full of ice to keep the buckets cold.

Do you have any other suggestions for what eles I might need day of or prep.

Thanks for your great post I have most everything I could think of planed out.

I was going to do 4 kegs now I want more so 6. I do t have as much time as I would like (just under 3 months) so some will be in kegarator for longer then others but all will have at least a week.

The day of they will be moved from my house to the venue about 35 minutes away and put in ice bins back on co2 about 3 to 4 hours before serving.

Picnic taps when we get there and an extra just in case and a cooler full of ice to keep the buckets cold.

Do you have any other suggestions for what eles I might need day of or prep.

do this:

keg your beers as normal and let them carbonate/settle out (I recommend Gelatin finigs or similar to get the clarity people expect)
after 7-10 days in the keg, pour off 0.5-1 pint of beer to clear it out, then jump it to another keg. (disconnect(beerout), line and then another disconnect(Beer Out)) this will remove the majority of trub from the keg and when you move the sediment disturbance is minimal (mainly because there isn't much there)

If the kegs can be stored in a fridge nearby or maybe a chiller trailer somewhere at the venue (we had a chiller trailer) this help store things cold, including any serving food (talk to the caterers)

Oh and if you only have 3 month get craking now if you are doing 6 different beers. run the least hoppy ones first and if your doing something like a porter or brown ale that should be done first or second.

do this:

keg your beers as normal and let them carbonate/settle out (I recommend Gelatin finigs or similar to get the clarity people expect)
after 7-10 days in the keg, pour off 0.5-1 pint of beer to clear it out, then jump it to another keg. (disconnect(beerout), line and then another disconnect(Beer Out)) this will remove the majority of trub from the keg and when you move the sediment disturbance is minimal (mainly because there isn't much there)

If the kegs can be stored in a fridge nearby or maybe a chiller trailer somewhere at the venue (we had a chiller trailer) this help store things cold, including any serving food (talk to the caterers)

Oh and if you only have 3 month get craking now if you are doing 6 different beers. run the least hoppy ones first and if your doing something like a porter or brown ale that should be done first or second.

Unfortinatly no onsite refrigeration I was thinking on moving my chest freezer but not sure it can happen.

I have one done in the keg this morning so 5 more to go. In thinking the skeeter pee, a cream ale, the yellow fizzy beer, an apple cider, and maby a fruit beer or an ipa or maby a Munich smash im not sure.

So if anyone who gave me some awesome recipes is still following this I started a skeeter pee a few days ago and that's going great.
And i am as we speak doing the yellow fizzy beer smells great.

Thanks again guys for all the suggestions.

1484592959833-110845275.jpg

Try a vienna smash. With hallutru or northen brewer. It is a very simple and pleasent beer.

So if anyone who gave me some awesome recipes is still following this I started a skeeter pee a few days ago and that's going great.
And i am as we speak doing the yellow fizzy beer smells great.

Thanks again guys for all the suggestions.

Very cool keep us posted as you move through the process. My next brew is also the Fizzy Yellow (Blonde). Ingredients arrive tomorrow from morebeer!

Looks you figured out what your going to make, I was going to add to the long list that's easy to make a ginger beer.

Latest posts

Back