Distiller's Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am brand new to all forms of brewing and started my first two one gallon batches of cider.

Gallon 1: Store bought pasteurized apple juice, 1.6 cups of white sugar, yeast

Gallon 2: Store bought pasteurized apple juice, about 2.5 - 3 cups of local honey, yeast nutrient, yeast

Question - I used Red Star Distiller's yeast not knowing any better. Should I scrap these two and start over? I have since read that distiller's yeast is too strong and fast and will produce a rather alcohol tasting bad final product.

Question - They honey gallon airlock has stopped bubbling after only 3-4 days. Today is day 5. I submerged the glass carboy in a pot of warm water and brought the temp up a touch and it started bubbling within a few minutes but has since stopped again. Ideas on why? Maybe the distiller's yeast?

Best,

Bruno

You need a hydrometer to see if it's still going or stalled.

Don't scrap anything. Maybe add nutrient and better yeast.

Hydrometer will be here Thursday from Amazon. Do you think the distiller's yeast will be ok for the cider?

I have 10 gallons of unpasteurized juice from a local orchard I am going to do two 5 gallon batches with, I have ordered different yeast recommended here for it.

Lalvin Dried Wine Yeast EC #1118

and

Safale S-04 Dry Yeast

The batch that may be stalled had nutrient added at the start to it.

Ive never used distiller's yeast. I started with EC-1118 and now use S-04.

Hi MissouriHunter, and welcome. No need to toss out anything. Better to taste what you have and then decide what your next step might be.

When you heated the carboy and it started to bubble the most likely explanation is that with the higher temperature the cider could not keep absorbed the CO2 (the carbon dioxide produced by the yeast). The higher the temperature of a liquid the fewer molecules of a gas it will be able to hold. If you heat any soda you will see the CO2 bubbles coming out of suspension.

The only way to know what is going on is with an hydrometer.

Thank you all.

Bernard - That is info I did not have, and makes all kinds of sense now. I will check with my hydrometer tomorrow when it shows up and post the readings to see if it helps with any suggestions.

Best,

Bruno

Generally speaking distillers yeast is not used when not making high proof wash for distillation. All wine, beer, and cider yeast have different alcohol tolerances as well as they produce--or do not produce-- different esters/flavors during fermentation that are specifically desired. For example: Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead Yeast has a designed 12% alcohol tolerance designed to leave residual sweetness if there is more than "12% worth" of sugar; something I found out by accident is if fermented at less than 60F it develops amazing stone fruit and melon flavors that really complement the ice cider i am making right now.

Generally speaking distillers yeast is not used when not making high proof wash for distillation. All wine, beer, and cider yeast have different alcohol tolerances as well as they produce--or do not produce-- different esters/flavors during fermentation that are specifically desired. For example: Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead Yeast has a designed 12% alcohol tolerance designed to leave residual sweetness if there is more than "12% worth" of sugar; something I found out by accident is if fermented at less than 60F it develops amazing stone fruit and melon flavors that really complement the ice cider i am making right now.

I need that ice cider recipe :D

FF, if you haven't seen any of my other posts, ice cider takes an incredibly long time to make: my first batch I started 4 months ago is still fermenting albeit slowly. As this my first attempt at ice cider and the recipe has pretty much just come out of my head based on my past experience in brewing and making ciders, and the flavor is so much more than I ever expected. Rather than adding chemicals to stop fermentation where it currently is, I am considering pasteurization but I am not solid on that option yet...

Back