I think I found my new bulk aging vessel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cegan09

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I happened into this today. Brand new, never used, was going to be thrown away (I love companies). Appears to be about 5 gallons, but I need to verify. 100% stainless, all TC fittings, 4 small ones around the edge, and one massive one in the center. Has a dip tube, slightly larger in diameter than a standard keg, but it should work just fine.

I think this is my new bulk aging vessel. I want to start doing two big brews a year. Things like a stout, barley wine, quad, etc that need to go sit away for 6 months. This is my storage vessel. Put standard keg connections on two of the small ports, a pressure relieve on another, and seal the rest.

First step is to give it a healthy cleaning however. Even if it was never used, I'd like to make sure there's nothing in there.

20161226_215051.jpg

20161226_215106.jpg

I know what that is, worked in industrial process engineering for a decade. These are used in nuclear process facilities for treating dried uranium oxide concentrate, this is one part of a bigger cascade used for that purpose. Totally unmistakable.

Normally would be disposed of correctly and not end up with beer in it.

I know what that is, worked in industrial process engineering for a decade. These are used in nuclear process facilities for treating dried uranium oxide concentrate, this is one part of a bigger cascade used for that purpose. Totally unmistakable.

I know the company it came from, and it doesn't touch nuclear material. Completely wrong field.

Normally their units are disposed of "correctly" meaning tracked and destroyed as well, but those that never get used, just get tossed. I wouldn't dare touch one that had been used with fun chemicals. But virgin stainless? you bet.

I'm just jerking your chain. Sense of humor much?

Sorry, sometimes the sarcasm meter doesn't work.

Based on the fact that this could have been used for something that would leave harmful remnants, i aired on the side of you being serious.

My money's on it being used in pharmaceutical industry, but then again.. also aint an engineer! :)

I'm just jerking your chain. Sense of humor much?

Ha! I thought you were serious.

Back