Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Yeasty taste

Old 02-13-2006, 04:09 AM   #1
Talcottsk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Yeasty taste

I sampled my first batch when I transfered to secondary--a bit alcohly (13%) and yeasty taste too--I tried to not transfer the crud at the bottom of my bucket, but I must have gotten some

Will this go away after some time or should I be extra careful when tranfering from secondary to bottles--it looks like its settling out nicely

Old 02-22-2006, 08:42 AM   #2
Talcottsk
Recipes 

before bottling I tasted and its seems ok now--but I just checked bottles, and they are on there saide, and I line of sediment has formed--should I worry? Just dead yeast right?
How can I prevent this next time

Old 02-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #3
OdinOneEye
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about getting a little yeasty crud in the bottom of your bottles; it isn't too unusual for some suspended gunk to fall out of what might have appeared to be crystal clear cider/wine/mead/what have you.
To minimize this, when racking from your fermenter to your bottles, start with your hose about halfway into the carboy and slowly work your way down- don't just put it all the way down to the bottom within an inch of your lees.
Or you could filter your cider through activated charcoal. I wouldn't suggest this, since it seems to strip out some of the character of your product, but it works fairly well if you really want to.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
brandonj
Recipes 

... you drank live activated yeast? It will start eating your body! Nah, it's all good, things will tend to have a yeasty taste to them. Once it settles out the taste should go away.

Primary 1: AIR (no 5 gal carboy's left to rack to *cry* must buy more!)
Primary 2: AIR
Primary 3: 1 gal Joe's Ancient Orange Mead Start 2/10/06
Primary 4 1 gal Cyser OG 1.105 start 2/11/06
Primary 5 1 gal Maple Mead
Secondary 1: 5 gal Cider OG 1.085 Start 2/4/06
Secondary 2: 5 gal Mead Grav 1.032 Start 2/2/06
Secondary 3: 1 gal Cider
Secondary 4: 1 gal spiced Cider start 2/11/06

Old 02-23-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
Caplan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinOneEye
it isn't too unusual for some suspended gunk to fall out of what might have appeared to be crystal clear cider/wine/mead/what have you.
Exactly!
Talcottsk, with your 'apple wine' (at 13% ABV we're pushing it to still call it a 'cider' ) still needing age to mellow out the alcohol i'd have racked it a few more times and let it throw more sediment rather than bottled it as early as you might normally do with a lower ABV brew.
Pour carefully when you're ready to drink it and leave the sediment behind this time though - it'll still be good when it's aged!

Old 02-24-2006, 04:36 AM   #6
Talcottsk
Recipes 

yes, i think it would be best to call it apple wine In hindsight, I should have let it settle longer or racked it more than once to clear off all the sediment--my friend help me bottle, and I think he stirred with the transfer tube a bit--want something done right.....