Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > "Set it and forget it" not working?

Old 03-21-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
Schwind
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "Set it and forget it" not working?

So I've had my keg of Dos Equis Amber clone in the keezer for almost 2 weeks now and it still doesn't seem to have the right carbonation. I also have my brown ale in the keg under pressure for a week, and it is not at the proper carbonation level. I tried the set it to 15 psi and leave it method.

So today, I'm wiping up the small puddle of moisture on the floor of the keezer and feel CO2 running up my nose, which is next to the gas in ports on my keg. I sprayed the gas in side with a star san solution and it didn't bubble. I must have a leak somewhere but I figured my tank would run dry before 2 weeks had passed. But its a 20 pounder so who knows. Does a little gas escape from the disconnects or is this a bad thing. I'm thinking its a bad thing.

I'm leaving for vacation tomorrow and would love to come home to a nice draft brown ale, not a flat brown ale.

5 Turns Vienna Lager
bottled:

Kegged: Barleywine, Lawn Chair Pilz

Old 03-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Chris_Dog
Orange whip?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

With 2 weeks under carbonation you should be seeing the results. It is not going to be fizzy like say Bud but we all know fizzy yellow beer is for wussies

It is probably a leak if you are smelling it. The best bet would be find it and fix it before you go out of town. Short of that if you feel it is you system that is leaking and not your keg. You can unplug them and turn the gas off. If it is the keg you might have flat beer when you return.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Schwind
Recipes 

Its carbonated. Just not what I thought It would or should be. It has a nice head for a little while, then the beer itself can't maintain that nice skim layer of head that I like. It doesn't really have the same bubbles in the beer I was hoping for. I'm just going to shut the gas off before I leave and hope the beer isn't flat when I get back.
Could my regulator be off? Maybe its 15 psi isn't really 15psi.
5 Turns Vienna Lager
bottled:

Old 03-21-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're only providing half the information for your carbonation problem. We need to know the temperature in the keezer as well.

I would track down your leak problem before you go. Just make up a soapy solution of water and dab a little bit on all the gas fittings and on the keg posts and pressure relief valves. The leak will identify itself pretty quickly.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 03-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm with Brad here...what's the length of your beer tubing? If it's too short it'll strip the carbonation out also, right?

Old 03-21-2008, 06:29 PM   #6
McSwiggin'
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I'm with Brad here...what's the length of your beer tubing? If it's too short it'll strip the carbonation out also, right?

Yes, this info might help...along with the i.d. of the tubing so we can see if you have enough resistance in the line.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #7
Schwind
Recipes 

keezer is at 38-40. I have 5 ft of 3/16 beer tubing. My LHBS said that would be enough. I'll test for leaks again with soapy water.

Thanks everyone.
5 Turns Vienna Lager
bottled:

Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 142 Times on 134 Posts

To answer the other question: No, gas connectors should not leak, even slightly. You might have a cracked o-ring on the post.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Schwind
Recipes 

i replaced and lubed them
5 Turns Vienna Lager
bottled:

Old 03-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #10
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Regardless, you seem to have a leak, and it's very much in your best interest to figure out where it is. Searching for leaks with soapy water or starsan is a quick, easy process.

However, having a CO2 leak will not cause your beer to be flat unless it actually empties your tank. As long as there's gas in the tank, the pressure in the keg should be unaffected by a small leak.

Personally I'm generally too impatient for the set-and-forget-for-weeks method of force carbing, opting instead for the fast way, so I can't provide much advice on what IS causing your flat beer problem.