What kind of apples are these?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leommarisio

Reaction score
Hi everybody! Today I was walking the dog and I found these on the streets of Santiago (Chile). Can anybody recognize them? They are very small and they have some time left to be riped but I was thinking about a crabapple cider with free fruits (in fall)
Thanks you for your help.

View attachment 1481415746490.jpg

Leomarisio I would say that seeing how there are hundreds of apple varieties " seria casi imposible por decir preciso". The smaller ones are what we call crab apples. You will have to taste them and see if you can imagine drinking their juice or fermenting them. Sometimes you have to blend them with sweet apples. The green apple looks unripe. I am always looking for sources of free apples too. I just found a crab apple tree near me too that I can use next year.

There are thousands of named apple varieties, wild trees or those started using seed are of course un-named and could never all be counted.
Gather as many different varieties as you can find and make some cider. Letting them get tree ripe is a good practice.
Here's an on line apple variety identifier:

http://www.applename.com/id.aspx

The one on the far right looks like a small Dolgo crab apple, or maybe an ornamental crab apple. The center looks like it MIGHT be a crab apple too, does it have red or white flesh? Not sure about the green one on the far left, Granny Smith maybe?
Hope that helps. Regards, GF.

Gratus, thanks for your help. The very small one has like pink flesh, the one in the middle has white flesh. I think the green is granny too.

Back