WY 1098 British Ale imparts vomit smell/taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Upthewazzu

Reaction score
Any idea what happened here? I used 1098 British Ale yeast on a pretty basic 3 gallon pale(-ish) ale a couple weeks ago. It fermented a little high at ~71° but that's still within the official threshhold according to Wyeast. I kegged a week ago and took a pull the other day and was greeted with a very nasty yeasty-vomit smell and taste. the beer was coldcrashed for ~24 hours before kegging and was kegged using a CO2 push directly from carboy to keg. I've had this happen once before on a Kolsch II yeast but that yeast is a whole different ballgame from British ale. It eventually cleared after months in the keg.

A .6L starter was made to get the correct number of yeasties. It sat on a stir plate for about 24 hours and then was poured directly into the wort at pitching temp (~70°). It stayed there for 7 days until it was cold crashed then kegged.

Only thing I can think of is that I should have given it a few more days in the fermentor. Not sure that would have made a difference though. I don't have much experience with this yeast (none, really) so hopefully someone can chime in here and let me know what I did wrong. Thanks!

Vomit smell/taste in beer is usually attributed to an enterobacter infection.

Interesting. There was no visible infection going on in the fermentor. I wonder if something got into the beer during the kegging process. If I opened the keg do you think I'd be able to see some visible nasties on the top of the beer?

Back