Measureing water value when transfering with a pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawgs47

Reaction score
How do you guys quantify your liquid transfer volume when using a pump?
I am switching to a brew stand with a HLT and pump, and wondering what creative ways people use. I don't have a sight gage and my kettles do not have volume markings. I could mark my mash paddle with volume levels, but I was hoping to hear some brilliant alternatives.

I have a bucket with litre markings I measure first runnings in. After everything has been saturated and the mash tun dead space is full whatever I add I assume I get back out on the sparge.

Dawg,
I have a sight gage on my HLT. You might think about adding one since you're making the move to a brew stand. Drill one hole on the lower bottom side of your HLT and mount a 90' fitting for some vinyl tubing kept straight with copper pipe. I cut a slot in the length of copper and filled the HLT with gallons to mark measured volume.
http://backyardbrewer.blogspot.com/2009/04/make-your-own-keggle-sight-glass.html
I just switched to a micro pump, as well. Been using ProMash for a couple of decades and use the Water Needed to figure out exactly how much to mash and sparge with. Most software and online tools will get you very close. Remember you'll have loos everywhere from grain absorption to equipment retention. After a couple of brews with this you can tweak you results.
Hope this helps!
Go Gators!

Back