White coating on the inside of CO2 line?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildernessBrewing

Reaction score
My CO2 line running from regulator to the manifold is coated with a white covering inside. I can't tell if it's a degradation of the actual line itself, or a substance that is coating the inside of the line. Originally I assumed some moisture made its way into the line, and it frosted up in the bottom of the keezer, but after letting the line come to room temp, it appears to be exactly the same. I attached some photos below. Anyone have any ideas as to what this could be? I haven't taken the line out yet, but I plan on replacing it before I keg my next batch.

View attachment 1481242181852.jpg

View attachment 1481242228768.jpg

fwiw, the only time I've seen something similar posted, it was by folks who left Star San sanitizer mix in their PVC beer lines for an extended period (many days or more).

Don't ever recall a similar situation with gas lines...

Cheers!

If you don't have a check valve on your gas lines it's possible if you had a keg with some Star San inside it, that the Star San back flowed into the gas line. Just a thought....

John

Thanks for the responses! Yeah I could see Star San causing it, but the line hasn't come into contact with any sanitizer internally, and I do have a check valve on the regulator.

Before outright replacing that line out of GPs, I would cut off a couple of inches, split it open, and try to figure out if that's a coating/deposit, or the actual tubing material was modified in some way.

At least For Science! :)

Cheers!

Back