Stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

figgnewton

Reaction score
I currently have an imperial stout in my primary, it has been at a steady 67 degrees in the room. The original gravity was 1.125 and after 1 week I checked and it was 1.051. I ended up pitched 2 packs of S-05 dry yeast to start and ended up pitching 1 pack of champagne yeast after day 10. It is now 3 weeks in and still the gravity has not changed and still at 1.051. The flavor is about what I was intending but I would still like to try to get the fg to about 1.030 which is what I was originally expecting. Any advice on trying to fix this would be great.

If you can give a little more info, someone may be able to pinpoint the problem.

All grain? Mash temp? Grain bill? Fermentation temp? Stuff like that.

Not sure the champagne yeast will help much unless you have alot of simple sugars in there. Apparently, some yeasts will kill off other strains, so you may or may not run into trouble there with the champagne yeast.

Give us some additional details and someone will surely chime in with something helpful. I've been able to get a sample of my stuck fermentation going again with suggestions provided by the helpful folks on this forum. Hang in there!

I was thinking US-05 might not be able to handle the alcohol content. Checked the website but couldn't find the alcohol tolerance. Maybe someone else knows what it is.

I was thinking US-05 might not be able to handle the alcohol content. Checked the website but couldn't find the alcohol tolerance. Maybe someone else knows what it is.

Pretty sure you are right about that. I read somewhere that the 05 will get up to 10 percent and some have got up to 12. My recipe was aiming to be about 11.5 percent and is currently just under 10. I was thinking the champagne may be able to help finish it because a somewhat similar recipe uses the champagne yeast to finish in a recipe kit I saw. I will provide my recipe and hopefully someone can let me know what is up.

It is an extract with grains recipe...

Here is the ingredients list,
4oz 60l crystal
4oz 40l crystal
8oz dehusked cara 1 malt
10oz special b
2oz peat smoked malt
8oz crisp black malt
1lb roasted barley'
12oz belgian chocolate malt
10lb bries golden light malt syrup
5lb munich malt extract
1oz chinook hops
2oz nugget hops
1oz willamette hops

I seeped 1 grain bag of roasted barley, chocolate malt, and black malt for 15 minutes and the rest I seeped for 30 minutes at 160 degrees.

I brought to a boil and added the munich malt after 30 minutes I added 1oz of nugget and 1oz of chinook, after another 30 minutes I added willamette and the other oz of nugget. After 15 more minutes I mixed in the light syrup and a pinch of irish moss and a teaspoon of yeast energizer and let boil another 15 minutes.... so a 90 minute boil total.

I pitched the 2 packs of 05 dry yeast and fermented at a pretty steady room temperature of 68 degrees. Airlock activity after a day and stayed active for about 3 days. After 10 days I pitched a pack of champagne yeast. The temperature has remained about the same the whole time and the gravity has stayed the same for about 2 weeks now.

Back