Sour beer culture suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JosephN

Reaction score
Batch number 43 is going down tonight, WHOOP! I have realized that since I have my set up working super smooth, even on rainy or cold days, I find this to be super relaxing and well deserved after a hard day or week at work.

But on a more interesting note, I'm looking to start a sour or two. I have an idea of where to begin, thanks to the brewing network and the sour hour, but I'm curious about what are good cultures to use and where to get them. Now let's states the obvious, wyeast, white labs, bootleg biology, east coast yeast (if you can find it), Giga yeast, and bottle dregs. I know that there is a list out there of usable bottle dregs, but I don't know where to get sour beer around here. Suggestions? Also what commercially available cultures have you personally found that have great results.

Let me make this clear, I do not care for barnyard/horse flavors. I like more of the crisp, clean aromatic, and fruity sours. I don't need to have a beer finish at 3pH to enjoy it so a soft acidity is fine with me.

Now that I'm done being picky, what say you?

You could grow lacto from grain, pre-sour wort to a mild acidity and then finish with brett like sacc trois or the like. Thats on of my faves.

If you're in Hermitage, Yazoo Brewing is only about 20 minutes away, in Nashville, and they have a premier sour and barrel program run by the founder of embracethefunk.com, Brandon Jones. I wouldn't hesitate to start off with dregs from a couple of their fine bottles.

If you're in Hermitage, Yazoo Brewing is only about 20 minutes away, in Nashville, and they have a premier sour and barrel program run by the founder of embracethefunk.com, Brandon Jones. I wouldn't hesitate to start off with dregs from a couple of their fine bottles.

Do you know if the dregs are pure and not contaminated with champagne yeast or something like that? I have a bottle or two of theirs at home.

Back