Please help with a White Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I have a "Creamy White Stout Kit" for Christmas, I checked it and found no hops were in it so I went back and checked the recipe on the website and there were non listed nor were the mash conditions. I should have checked before my son ordered it but I didn't so it is my fault!!! no blame to HBS it came from the user uploaded section - the Wild West.

I need a bit of help with sorting out what hops I need and in fact if the recipe is any good.

Munich 1 ..............2000g
Melanoidin.............500g
Maris Otter............3500g
Flaked Barley.........1000g
Biscuit...................500g

I think I should do a 65°C 90 min mash no conditions were listed in the recipe. My first though is to bitter to about 50 IBU with a small 15 min addition for flavour.

First question, is this going to produce a good brew?
Second question, what hop additions to I need to make?
Third question, do I need a beta glucan rest and rice hulls for drainage?

Thanks Gents. aamcle

I have a "Creamy White Stout Kit" for Christmas, I checked it and found no hops were in it so I went back and checked the recipe on the website and there were non listed nor were the mash conditions. I should have checked before my son ordered it but I didn't so it is my fault!!! no blame to HBS it came from the user uploaded section - the Wild West.

I need a bit of help with sorting out what hops I need and in fact if the recipe is any good.

Munich 1 ..............2000g
Melanoidin.............500g
Maris Otter............3500g
Flaked Barley.........1000g
Biscuit...................500g

I think I should do a 65°C 90 min mash no conditions were listed in the recipe. My first though is to bitter to about 50 IBU with a small 15 min addition for flavour.

First question, is this going to produce a good brew?
Second question, what hop additions to I need to make?
Third question, do I need a beta glucan rest and rice hulls for drainage?

Thanks Gents. aamcle

I don't necessarily have any direct advice for you, but I would try and find a stout recipe out and about or look to the BJCP style guidelines in terms of bittering. Whenever I make a stout, I just do a bittering addition as I am not really looking for hop flavor. I don't think you would need rice hulls. I have only ever used them for recipes with lots of wheat or oats.

I'm thinking :-
First Gold 50g at 90
Bramling Cross 15g at 10
Brammling Cross 15g at 0 flame out

Should give me just over 50 IBU, bittering + a bit of flavour.

aamcle

I'm not familiar with "white stouts". This has no roast in it at all, how does it classify as a stout?

I am currently brewing a Casper White Stout clone from James Page Brewery.
Here is my Hop Schedule for a 2.5 Gal Batch on the PicoBrew Zymatic:
Hop / wt Oz / Min
Columbus 0.3 60
Kent Golding 0.125 30
Kent Golding 0.125 5
In the secondary fermentation I am adding Cocoa nibs and coffee beans. Should be going in the keg later this week.

Latest posts

Back