Still visible fermentation after 11 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
I've had an Austin Homebrew sessionfest ale in primary for 11 days now, still getting a good bloop of CO2 from the 1½" blowoff tube every 9 seconds or so. Eleven days seems a long time to still be fermenting like that...certainly longer than any other batch I've brewed. Does it mean anything is wrong? The yeast is Wyeast Kolsch 2565.

There's probably just a lot of CO2 trapped in the trub/yeast cake. It'll slowly release over time.

Take a reading then recheck in a day or two. Ive had beers that were done, aging still burping 4 weeks out of secondary it was on aporcots.

Took a gravity reading, it's at 1.018...I'm looking for 1.013; guess it needs a little more time. Not surprising, maybe, since I've kept the temp at 60-62 the entire time, even when pitching.

Tasted it after the reading....quite nice, tho still a little sweet.

Keep in mind FG isn't always what the recipe predicts - that's only an estimate. You should get stable gravity from readings 2 - 3 days apart to be finished.

I've had the same yeast finish in vastly different times on different beers. Using wlp007 it got a decent strength Porter to FG in 5 days and a slighter lower og pale to FG in 12 days (2.4 times the first time). There is so much that goes into fermentation time that we can't really expect a "normal" time. All we can do is help them along their path to a healthy fermentation and they'll figure it out. All we have to know when there're done is a hydrometer. Bubbles don't mean a thing but they're fun to look at.

The blender worked great for a small 2qt biab starter the yeast is still good and chuching away atm thanks guys gor the help.

Took a gravity reading, it's at 1.018...I'm looking for 1.013; guess it needs a little more time. Not surprising, maybe, since I've kept the temp at 60-62 the entire time, even when pitching.

Tasted it after the reading....quite nice, tho still a little sweet.

At this point in the fermentation it is probably advantageous to let the beer warm to 70-75 to encourage the yeast to finish fermenting. I usually do so between day 5 and 7. I've had a saison that wouldn't finish until I warmed the beer to 85 even.

Back