poor percentage of alcohol, fermentation problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josefbox

Reaction score
hello, my first thread here and happy to immerse myself in zymurgy.

I bought a cooper's english bitter kit 2 months ago. Done the brewing part but with mistakes ( or it seems to me so.. )

1- didnt check the temperature at all before pitching the yeast, I didn't have a thermometer at that time, and just guessed when I thought it was right and ready. The brew, made from tap, city water, was a bit warmer than room temperature as I felt it on the plastic keg from what I remember. I did a hydrometer reading after pitching the yeast ( 5 or 10 minutes afterwards) and lost the written note. So my reading was false because I did not know at that time that calibration of hydrometer readings ever existed.

2- when I pitched the yeast, at unknown temperature, I mixed it in completely with the spoon instead of letting it sit on top of the liquid malt. I thought the yeast needed to be aerated this way.

3- the plastic keg's lid did not closed perfectly. So throughout all of the primary fermation stage, the adaptive and attenuation ( i think ), I only let the lid sit over the plastic keg without any airlock. The lid was not closed. After a day, I could cleary see a thick krausen that lasted a few days... when I opened the lid, of course, at least a dozen times.

4- when the krausen appeared to have subsided, I racked with poor performance the liquid into a glass keg ( with and airlock, now). My saliva probably came in contact with the beer at this point. There was still a bit of krausen at this stage inside the glass keg. The liquid was very opaque, dark brown.

5- the brew was sitting in my wardrobe for 7 to 8 weeks, forgotten, as life was busy... the airlock displayed me a very unnerved bubbling. And thereupon I thought it was in conditioning stage, still in the glass keg.

Now the brew is clear, dark red brown. I guess there is trub at the bottom of the fermenter. It smells nice and tastes like beer. More like a flat beer with no alcohol. But the malt taste is there and there a small but still noticeable carbonation happening when tasting. I made 3 hydra readings all rendered up to 1,002.

The anonymous liquid is still to this day in the keg waiting for something..

My concerns are what follows. I saw froth in the very first days, it means the yeast has necessarily converted sugars into alcohol, no? even though I did not take a hydrometer reading. It doesn't take a hydra reading to make alcohol ( lol ). Is my yeast dead? Is the brew contaminated ( no sign of contamination, mold ) ? Should I re pitch new yeast in ( the same type of yeast ) ?

Thanks in advance. I know some of you might say '' just dump it and buy a thermometer ''. I'm getting a thermometer tomorrow anyhow. But I want to know if there is a solution in order to get something out of it. I hope the usage of brewer's vocabulary in this post is in order as well.

Some thoughts about the brew:
- You probably pitched too warm and are likely to get off flavors. Still could be ok.
- I'm guessing you used dry yeast. Some brewers pitch and then stir. I think this will be ok. You probably didn't give it much aeration, but with dry yeast, it isn't as much of an issue.
- The poorly fitting lid - probably ok, unless fruit flies could get in.
- I'd say you opened the lid way too many times. Could have oxidation. It could still be drinkable, but should be drunk soon to minimize this.
- Racking to secondary isn't normally needed, but sitting in a poorly sealed bucket for 8 weeks wouldn't be good. But you might have introduced oxygen while racking.
- Yes, it might have still fermented some more after racking - or maybe not. Either way, ok.
- 1.002 is an alarming FG for an English Bitter. It might be infected, but you say it tastes good. It could be an infection that tastes good, or the hydrometer could be off. Check it in water, and adjust for temperature. Were your three gravity readings taken on different days? If they were at least 2 - 3 days apart, were done correctly, and got the same reading, then fermentation should be finished. Just the same, the 1.002 FG makes me nervous. If you bottle this, be really careful - you could get bottle bombs. Keep them in a safe place, and wear protective equipment when handling them.
- The kraeusen and low FG indicate that the yeast converted sugar to alcohol. They shouldn't be dead, but it's been a long time in the fermenter. If you bottle, you should do it right away.

Good luck.
And welcome to the forum.

It sounds to me despite some of the mis-readings and such that your beer is done. It probably didn't start too high if it attenuated down to 1.002. Probably is a nice session beer. Bottle it, prime it and drink it. My first beer went very much like yours and was very nice.

So it's clear, smells nice, tastes like beer. I agree with AZ, I'd bottle that up. While it does sound low on the FG and I suppose there's a chance it's infected, without other signs it seems unlikely. I would double check that your hydrometer is calibrated though, and that you're correcting for temp, etc. If you're worried put them in a box inside a garbage bag to carbonate. As far as "poor percentage of alcohol", not sure what you mean. If anything it would be higher than target with a low FG like that. I assume this was an extract kit, in which case if your volumes are on you can just go by the listed kit OG. You can't really miss with extract (if your volumes were correct).

Update**

So I bought new yeast and priming sugar. Rehydrated the yeast, poured in the sugar, mixed everything gently then bottled it. We will see in 14 days what it gives us !

hello, my first thread here and happy to immerse myself in zymurgy.

I bought a cooper's english bitter kit 2 months ago. Done the brewing part but with mistakes ( or it seems to me so.. )

1- didnt check the temperature at all before pitching the yeast, I didn't have a thermometer at that time, and just guessed when I thought it was right and ready. The brew, made from tap, city water, was a bit warmer than room temperature as I felt it on the plastic keg from what I remember. I did a hydrometer reading after pitching the yeast ( 5 or 10 minutes afterwards) and lost the written note. So my reading was false because I did not know at that time that calibration of hydrometer readings ever existed.

2- when I pitched the yeast, at unknown temperature, I mixed it in completely with the spoon instead of letting it sit on top of the liquid malt. I thought the yeast needed to be aerated this way.

3- the plastic keg's lid did not closed perfectly. So throughout all of the primary fermation stage, the adaptive and attenuation ( i think ), I only let the lid sit over the plastic keg without any airlock. The lid was not closed. After a day, I could cleary see a thick krausen that lasted a few days... when I opened the lid, of course, at least a dozen times.

4- when the krausen appeared to have subsided, I racked with poor performance the liquid into a glass keg ( with and airlock, now). My saliva probably came in contact with the beer at this point. There was still a bit of krausen at this stage inside the glass keg. The liquid was very opaque, dark brown.

5- the brew was sitting in my wardrobe for 7 to 8 weeks, forgotten, as life was busy... the airlock displayed me a very unnerved bubbling. And thereupon I thought it was in conditioning stage, still in the glass keg.

Now the brew is clear, dark red brown. I guess there is trub at the bottom of the fermenter. It smells nice and tastes like beer. More like a flat beer with no alcohol. But the malt taste is there and there a small but still noticeable carbonation happening when tasting. I made 3 hydra readings all rendered up to 1,002.

The anonymous liquid is still to this day in the keg waiting for something..

My concerns are what follows. I saw froth in the very first days, it means the yeast has necessarily converted sugars into alcohol, no? even though I did not take a hydrometer reading. It doesn't take a hydra reading to make alcohol ( lol ). Is my yeast dead? Is the brew contaminated ( no sign of contamination, mold ) ? Should I re pitch new yeast in ( the same type of yeast ) ?

Thanks in advance. I know some of you might say '' just dump it and buy a thermometer ''. I'm getting a thermometer tomorrow anyhow. But I want to know if there is a solution in order to get something out of it. I hope the usage of brewer's vocabulary in this post is in order as well.

1. Right temperature to pitch yeast touch the fermentation vessel with your hand. Does it have the same temperature or slightly lower => pitch.
The skin on your hands is about 77°F not 98°F as inside your body.

2. Not really an issue, as long as you didn't whisk it in this should not be an issue.

3. This is a problem, you need a lid that fits. You need to keep the air out and as much CO as possible in so you have less chance of infection.
You also don't want to open the lid for the same reason.

4. Well you know what you did wrong.

5. could be an infection could be leftover yeast still eating away.

No way to tell. Prime, bottle, and report back when you drink it :p

Thank you all for your replies! I understand the difficulty of gauging any potential mistakes since it is something analysed visually. Maybe next time I'll post a work in progress with pictures of all steps, that could help. I did prime it and with new yeast. Now it's bottled and should be done by Christmas. I will... drink one by myself to see if I don't get sick before letting anybody else taste (hahaha).

Thank you all for your replies! I understand the difficulty of gauging any potential mistakes since it is something analysed visually. Maybe next time I'll post a work in progress with pictures of all steps, that could help. I did prime it and with new yeast. Now it's bottled and should be done by Christmas. I will... drink one by myself to see if I don't get sick before letting anybody else taste (hahaha).

Since it fermented out so well, I'm just wondering why you added yeast? It won't hurt, except to make a yeasty flavor, but I was wondering why. Stirring the yeast in at that point, even gently, can cause oxidation and there would be nothing to gain by doing that. You want the yeast to fall out of suspension, to fall to the bottom, and then you siphon ('rack') off of the yeast. Adding more would be counterproductive to removing the yeast sediment ('trub') before bottling.

Latest posts

Back