Hop sediment in draft beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drk93TT

Reaction score
Ok so I feel like I'm going to beat this horse to death so sorry in advance.. Im looking for tips/tricks to avoid hop sediment in my dry hopped beers.

Background-
I use dry hops in my glass carboy with no filter strainers/bags etc. Just dump them in and haven't had an issue til this keg of ridiculously good IPA I brewed.

Brew details..
Fermented at 68*F for 12 days. Added 2oz citra Pellet hops to fermenter which stayed in there for 3 days... I then move the carboy (which obviously shakes things up a bit) to the kitchen to rack to keg with racking cane/auto siphon. Did not cold crash or filter anything going into the keg.

Everything I read says that I should have:

1. Dropped down to 40*F--ish to "cold crash" which allows the hop sediment etc. to form a nice trub packing at the bottom

OR

2. Put a clean and sanitized screen/nylon filter bag over the racking cane when racking to keg.

Is there any other way to do this?

Oh and now for my next beer I recently upgraded to a SSbrewtech brew bucket so Im really wondering what the best way to go about it is (no racking cane/siphon just rotate the racking arm and open the ball valve into the keg.. once moved to the kitchen kicking everything up again in the fermenter most likely)

I get that you might get a tiny bit of sediment in the first pour... I'm 10 pints in with sediment still and its making me very beer angry

Ive dry hopped a few times before with only the first pint having some in it.. but this is the first time theres just little fragments of hop pellets in every pint.

It's posts like this that are the reason I still use whole hops to dry hop.:p Definitely cold crash next time and consider fining with gelatin in the keg. Should take care of everything.

I had this happen with a SN Celebration Ale clone I made last year. The beer was great, but I got a small amount of hop debris in ever pint for about half the keg. That was the last time I dry hopped with pellets without using a hop bag.

When you move the carboy for the transfer, do it early and let it sit there for at least a couple of hours. Then transfer carefully. You should not have to worry too much about the sediment if you let it settle. I dry hop in paint strainer bags and get little to no transfer, what does settles in the keg and is sucked out in the first pint or so.

I had this happen with a SN Celebration Ale clone I made last year. The beer was great, but I got a small amount of hop debris in ever pint for about half the keg. That was the last time I dry hopped with pellets without using a hop bag.

Nice. Thanks for the info. Theres a set of 2 paint strainer bags on eBay for 6 dollars shipped. Maybe Ill get em.

Also Ive never DH in the keg always in the fermenter after primary is complete.

I recall placing a racking cane in a nylon bag and using it that way a couple years back also now that I think bout it and it worked O.K but not great as the liquid level dropped.

Nice. Thanks for the info. Theres a set of 2 paint strainer bags on eBay for 6 dollars shipped. Maybe Ill get em.

I recall placing a racking cane in a nylon bag and using it that way a couple years back also now that I think bout it and it worked O.K but not great as the liquid level dropped.

I use hop bags like these https://www.morebeer.com/products/bag-6-8-mesh-hop.html that I get from my LHBS. Reusable and they work great. I've tried using them on the end of the racking cane as well, but I get absolutely zero hop debris if I just put the dry hops in the hop bag and don't worry about it. I've had no problems with diminished aroma either which some people claim can happen.

My DH was in the fermenter too, and I tried my best to keep any hop debris out when racking to the keg. It just didn't work and I had some hop floaters in about 20 pints. I took to using my hydroflask pint glass so I couldn't see it and I quickly forgot about the clarity issue. Eventually there were no more floaters in the beer and I went back to enjoying in a clear pint glass. Taste was great the whole time, but I do prefer a clear pint.

I clip a small mesh bag to the outflow end of the siphon tube to catch hop debris that didn't compact in the yeast/trub layer. Siphoning takes a few minutes longer but it gets gets the job done.

P413resized.jpg

I clip a small mesh bag to the outflow end of the siphon tube to catch hop debris that didn't compact in the yeast/trub layer. Siphoning takes a few minutes longer but it gets gets the job done.

Never thought of that, thats a good idea too.

I might try the paint strainer bags with pellet hops in fermenter next go around and test my results , but that just may be easier too hmmm

Back