Help Me Finish This Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GHawk

Reaction score
I was sitting here thinking about what else to add to the left over inventory I have and it crossed my mind to get ideas from you fellow HomeBrewTalkers.

I have 4# 2row - 2# Maris Otter - 1# Light DME - 1/2# Rye - 1/2#CaraPils

I can pick up some other additional grains. Thought about a touch of rye in a Porter.
I've been trying out new (to me) hops like Mosaic, Azacca, Huell Melon and would like to stay away from my favs like Cascade and all things "C".
Yeast is another variable.

Whatcha think?

I'm not sure of the question, are you saying you are trying to use up what you have and make a porter? Do you have an idea what kind of porter, how big you want it, etc? You'll likely want some chocolate, maybe some medium crystal, maybe some black malt. Or you could go more of a brown porter - I make one that has a lot of brown malt and a little pale chocolate as the roasted malt contribution. I'd up the rye if you want it to come through. I don't know about those hops for this, I'm not crazy about overly fruity or aromatic hops in porters so I tend to go with something like Willamette, EKG, northern brewer, perle, etc. Yeast could be American or English depending what you want.

I'm not sure of the question, are you saying you are trying to use up what you have

Use up what I have left.
Not necessarily a Porter. Great idea of a Brown Porter.

I've been reading all the different posts about best hop parings for ideas, as well.
I think the trick is to work in the rye.

Back