cure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

actech

Reaction score
Ive been smoking for ever it seems. But I want to start making sausage. So far all has been fresh so no cure needed. I want to make sticks,summer sausage. I've found recipes calling for #1 or #2 or instacure or mortons tender quick. I know 1 & 2 are NOT interchangable but isnt instacure or tender quick the same as either 1 or 2?

As far as I know, the insta cure comes in #1 or #2 (i think you said that) but #1 is sodium nitrite like tender quick. #2 is sodium nitrate, for long fermented sausages. I've never used #2 but I mainly stick to pork belly and fresh sausage.

As far as I know, the insta cure comes in #1 or #2 (i think you said that) but #1 is sodium nitrite like tender quick. #2 is sodium nitrate, for long fermented sausages. I've never used #2 but I mainly stick to pork belly and fresh sausage.

Sort of,

#1 is Sodium Nitrite. A short term cure.
#2 is Sodium Nitrate. A long term cure. (Nitrate slowly breaks down into Nitrite)

"Insta cure" cure is marketing name for either #1 or #2

"Tender Quick" is a product that has BOTH nitrite and nitrate in the mix.

The main thing to take away is that no curing products should be considered to be interchangeable, due to different proprietary formulas, usages etc. It is very much advised to follow the instructions on the package of the exact cure that you intend to use, as those instructions are written for THAT cure.

I use TenderQuick for all of my curing, and it is a very reliable product; it takes a little getting to know, but it is worth learning. An important thing to know is that TenderQuick uses salt as a "carrier" to bring the cure to the meat; because of this, the salt in TQ is intended to also be the salt in the final product. You will not need to add additional salt if using for whole-muscle curing such as bacon, bresaola, "dried beef" (which is different from jerky), hams and other related products; however, if you use it for sausage, I have noticed that it does need a little salt added, about 1/4 teaspoon per pound, depending on your preference.

There's a lot of good info on this site regarding curing.
http://www.smoked-meat.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=70

Sort of,

#1 is Sodium Nitrite. A short term cure.
#2 is Sodium Nitrate. A long term cure. (Nitrate slowly breaks down into Nitrite)

"Insta cure" cure is marketing name for either #1 or #2

"Tender Quick" is a product that has BOTH nitrite and nitrate in the mix.

Huh. I know the difference between 1 and 2 and that insta cure was a marketing term, but had no idea Tender quick was that. I mix my own cure from so I've never used an off the shelf bag, except in culinary school.

Ive been smoking for ever it seems. But I want to start making sausage. So far all has been fresh so no cure needed. I want to make sticks,summer sausage. I've found recipes calling for #1 or #2 or instacure or mortons tender quick. I know 1 & 2 are NOT interchangable but isnt instacure or tender quick the same as either 1 or 2?

Tenderquick is cure #1. If you intend making cured dried sausages "salume" you'll need to cure with #2 or "pink salt". As part of this process you'll also need to use a starter culture. Fermentation maintaining the adequate temps & humidity are most important as you'll either dry too fast or mold will grow too rapidly.

Huh. I know the difference between 1 and 2 and that insta cure was a marketing term, but had no idea Tender quick was that. I mix my own cure from so I've never used an off the shelf bag, except in culinary school.

From the Morton's site;

"Morton Tender Quick mix contains salt, the main preserving agent; sugar, both sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite, curing agents that also contribute to development of color and flavor; and propylene glycol to keep the mixture uniform. Morton Tender Quick is NOT a meat tenderizer."

I've never found a definitive ratio of the mix but there is a thread on teh smoking meat forums that says;

"Tender Quick is approximately 79% salt, 20% sugar, 1/2% sodium nitrite, 1/2% sodium nitrate with a touch of Propylene Glycol."

clear as mud lol. Guess Im gonna get some #1 for when I do summer sausages. And it will be awhile before I venture into salami but I cant wait. I love all the dry cured meats,so healthy too. lol

While I'm a little late to the conversation, let me add what I know. My grandfather made his living as a sausage maker (smoked German sausage) and the family recipe has been passed down. I'm now the family sausage maker (hobby only). If you plan on making a slow smoked/cooked sausage at low cooking temps you must use nitrite. Prague powder Insta-cure #1 is easiest to use. Mix it in with your ground meat at a ratio of 1 ounce cure to every 25 lbs of meat. Cure #2 is for fermented or dried sausages that are not cooked but are allowed to cure over time. Tender quick is a mix of around 79% salt, 20% sugar, 1/2% nitrate, 1/2% nitrite and a touch of Propylene Glycol to prevent clumping. If using Tender Quick follow recipe for amount.

Back