Danstar Munich Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this yeast? I got 2 packets in a prize package from a local homebrew competition. I'd like to do a hefe with one and maybe a dunkel with the other. If it's not good for these styles, what do you recommend? Maybe just an american wheat beer? Never used dry yeast for these styles, only liquid. Any tips or good recipes appreciated!

For a German hefe yeast, it's relatively neutral, meaning it's pretty restrained in terms of clove/banana compared to other German Hefe yeasts.

It makes a nice American Wheat, though, so by all means, use the free yeast. A grist of 47:47:6 (2-row: Wheat: Light Crystal) with relatively soft water and a dash of noble hops makes a nice American wheat. Perhaps add some orange zest at the end of the boil.

If I was brewing a German hefe, I'd choose WY3068 or WY3333 depending on desired results. Maybe even WY3463 if I was feeling crazy.

For a German hefe yeast, it's relatively neutral, meaning you probably will not get much in the way of clove/banana compared to other German Hefe yeasts. You'll get some "banana" esters if the beer is fermented >68*.

It makes a nice American Wheat, though, so by all means, use the free yeast. A grist of 47:47:6 (2-row: Wheat: Light Crystal) with relatively soft water and a dash of noble hops makes a nice American wheat. Perhaps add some orange zest at the end of the boil.

If I was brewing a German hefe, I'd choose WY3068 or WY3333 depending on desired results.

Thanks for your input! The wheat with orange zest has my mouth watering already... I've used 3068 with great results before so I think I'l save the hefe until I get more of that yeast.

Back