Dry Hopping a Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexM40

Reaction score
5 gallons of Saison just went into secondary after 4 weeks in primary. Even a week ago it was still bubbling away in primary.
It's called the kitchen sink Saison because it began as a Petite Saison D'Ete kit from Northern. However, there was a pound of Amber DME that's been laying around for quite a while and a pound of wildflower honey leftover from a Mead recipe.
Danstar Belle Saison yeast started fermenting within an hour of pitch and it's been going ever since.
OG: 1.054 and todays is 1.004.
Anyhow, I have about 3/4 ounce of Cluster leaf hops in the freezer and a left over ounce of Cascade.
Should I dry hop with either or both? This is my first Saison.
What thinkest Thou?

If it's your first saison, I would say nay to dry hopping. Saison is mostly about the yeast character, although there are definitely hop-forward and dry-hopped saisons. I think you should have it as is, because Belle Saison can be a very flavorful yeast, and you might mask that with too much hops. I would wait to see how you like this one, and then determine if you want to dry hop or not.

Tasted what was in the gravity test tube and it was nice, had a nice fruity taste with a good amount of bitterness from the initial hops which consisted of goldings and saaz. I did add some corriander and sweet orange peel to the last part of the boil. The orange peel came through, but very slightly.

If you're happy with it then leave it be. By my taste of you want to dry hop go with cascade (but run the risk of losing saison character in favour of APA). No go on the cluster. Yuck.

Back