Football how I love and hate you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bboyeruga

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I always love when football season gets here because it means I get to enjoy the beer I've brewed and take a more relaxing approach to my typical one brew every two weeks schedule.

That said, I'm really glad that football season is winding down. It's so hard to get help during the season with both College and NFL taking up the entire weekend. I was only able to brew once during the season this year and my kegerator is almost empty. It even got me into thinking I was "over" this hobby which I know deep down isn't true.

So here's to the season winding down and brewing picking back up again.

:mug:

Some of us only watch the Super bowl so there's no conflict with the really important stuff: spending time with family and brewing.

Some of us brew while watching football. Once I even carried the TV outside to the garage and we brewed while watching the game and brewing outside.

Sometimes I even just listen to the game on the radio instead of watching on TV.

Why dont you brew smaller batches so you dont need the help? I brew 3 gal stove top all grain batches when it gets cold outside. I love it because you can brew more and you'll have all different kinds of beer on hand.
The radio is a great option. Hometown commentary is always better than the puppets they put on tv!

Go local sports team!!

Some of us brew while watching football. Once I even carried the TV outside to the garage and we brewed while watching the game and brewing outside.

Sometimes I even just listen to the game on the radio instead of watching on TV.

Yeah, we sometimes watch TV while brewing, but that's not the issue. It's the weekends where we go to both the NFL and NCAA games in the area and tailgate that take time away from brewing.

Why dont you brew smaller batches so you dont need the help? I brew 3 gal stove top all grain batches when it gets cold outside. I love it because you can brew more and you'll have all different kinds of beer on hand.
The radio is a great option. Hometown commentary is always better than the puppets they put on tv!

Go local sports team!!

Not a bad idea. I used to brew stove top, but since switching to kegging, it's only been worth the effort to do bigger batches.

Yeah, we sometimes watch TV while brewing, but that's not the issue. It's the weekends where we go to both the NFL and NCAA games in the area and tailgate that take time away from brewing.

Ah, well, I'm several hours away from any NFL team, so I don't get to go to games. Must be nice to live close enough to enjoy a day of live action!

I guess I can't help you. Maybe figure out how to brew on a weeknight? I can manage to do it if I am totally prepared the night before and get started right after work. Sometimes I even prefer to do it this way so my weekend is clear for whatever fun the wife has scheduled us for. (Not sure how that sounds to everyone else, but I meant like getting together with friends or having to attend some function of the kids or whatever. As far as the "other" stuff, I have no problem fitting it in.)

See, I am just the opposite. I wish the season was twice as long!

Most of what I watch is high school (my brother is a coach) and college. I brew on Sunday usually so I watch pro ball only occasionally. I will get a bit misty when bowl season is over.

Not a bad idea. I used to brew stove top, but since switching to kegging, it's only been worth the effort to do bigger batches.

I hear you. It's a little faster of a brew day since you don't have to wait for 6+ gallons of wort to boil.
I keg too. No issues with putting 3 gallons of beer in a 5 gallon keg. It's a little over a 24 pack of beer volume wise. Maybe 30 or so... and it carbs a little faster I think than a full 5 gallon batch.

I brew during games. It helps keep me from getting too worked up. And as a Georgia Tech fan I need all the distraction I can get.

Matter of fact, I brewed a stout during the UGA/GT game and Im calling it Kirbys 1 point pout stout. 28-27 :)

Roll Tide y'all!!!

Heck I'm just glad to have moved and to have a bunch of rough spots in my rear view mirror! We don't have internet cable dish or anything set up yet and I've missed a ton of football but I've missed brewing even more. Got to brew last weekend, 9 gallons woohoo!

Gotta watch the Ferris State Bulldogs game on ESPN3 tomorrow.

Then Sunday is Lions destroying Da Bears.

I may still find time to brew, though. I have at least one lager I need to make so it has time to lager all winter.

Back