Best way to emulate munich malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmclark12

Reaction score
I'm looking for a way to emulate munich malt in an extract brew with just steeping grains and light dme. I don't want to do a mini mash or BIAB. It doesn't have to be spot on, just in the ballpark, even in the parking lot of the ballpark works. My best guesses for the specialty grains are caramunich I II or III, aromatic, or melanoidin. My LHBS carries caramunich II and aromatic, so one of those or a combo would be optimal, but I'll order something else if I need to. I'd be using around 7 lbs light dme in a 5 gal batch. My initial thought was a combo of .5 lb caramunich II and .5 lb aromatic, but I've never used either of those so I have no idea. Any thoughts on this are appreciated.

Aromatic malt is a darker kilned Munich malt- so that would work.

But, why not use Munich malt? Hold the grains at 150-155 for 20-40 minutes, and you can use Munich or aromatic malt.

Any cara- type malts are not Munich malt, as those are crystal/caramel malts.

Aromatic malt is a darker kilned Munich malt- so that would work.

But, why not use Munich malt? Hold the grains at 150-155 for 20-40 minutes, and you can use Munich or aromatic malt.

Any cara- type malts are not Munich malt, as those are crystal/caramel malts.

Bingo. Light Munich 10L should have enough diastatic enzyme power to convert itself by just steeping.
At my brew shop grain is cheaper than extract and a grain sock can hold a pound or more of crushed grain for less than two bucks. They sell a 3lb. bag of Golden DME for almost $14.
It's one reason I "did the math" and decided to go all grain. I'd rather work harder and keep my cash, but extract can be very convenient.

I have a 50 lb bag of light DME, so that's the base for everything right now. So basically i'm trying to make 7 lbs of DME taste like 11 or 12 lbs of munich. I know it's not gonna be the same, just looking to get close. Yooper any ideas on how much aromatic to use?

Bingo. Light Munich 10L should have enough diastatic enzyme power to convert itself by just steeping.
At my brew shop grain is cheaper than extract and a grain sock can hold a pound or more of crushed grain for less than two bucks. They sell a 3lb. bag of Golden DME for almost $14.
It's one reason I "did the math" and decided to go all grain. I'd rather work harder and keep my cash, but extract can be very convenient.

Agree 100% but I'm pretty lazy. I used to brew all grain but it became too much hassle and I didn't enjoy it. So I quit for a few years and then started back up with extract. 50# bag of DME cost me $140, so at $2/lb for grain at my LHBS cost comes out about the same. Of course you sacrifice a lot of control, which is why I'm here begging for advice!

Agree 100% but I'm pretty lazy. I used to brew all grain but it became too much hassle and I didn't enjoy it. So I quit for a few years and then started back up with extract. 50# bag of DME cost me $140, so at $2/lb for grain at my LHBS cost comes out about the same. Of course you sacrifice a lot of control, which is why I'm here begging for advice!

You might want to look into BIAB as it is so simple, the efficiency can be great, the time required nearly the same as extract (if you learn how) and you get back all the control of all grain brewing. At $2 a pound the cost might be near the same but you aren't required to by from that LHBS. Take a peek here and put in your address to see what it will cost with shipping included. Note that there is a discount for purchasing at least 10 pounds at a time too.
http://www.ritebrew.com/product-p/801116.htm

I agree the best way is to actually mash some in a partial (mini) mash, it's as easy as steeping.
alternatively they do make Munich extract.
as far as specialty grains...I would think either a small amount of aromatic and/or melanoidin...maybe 2-4 oz total in a 5 talon batch.

Back