Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Growing Question

Old 03-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
jmmarvel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Growing Question

I know... not the most specific title on the site...

nevertheless, here's my question. I don't really have anything decent in terms of what to grow my hops on. I went to home depot yesterday and saw that they have pieces of lattice-fence that is about 6.5 - 7 feet tall. I know this is like 1/2 of the optimal height, but I don't want to have some weird looking half-assed tee pee in my back yard. Any suggestions? (I'm also trying to keep this relativelly cheap, emphasis on relatively).

Old 03-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Strings of course are probably the best. If you go with a lattice, I would make the openings farily big and have the pieces of the lattice be fairly thin. You want the plants to be able to easily wrap itself around whatever it grows on. One disadvantage of a lattice might be harvesting and the cleaning up the plant material after harvest.

You might try finding a lattice just the opposite of above, and then hang some strings in front of it (maybe in a V or several V's per plant) for the plants to grow on. This would give you the visual appeal of the lattice.
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition