Thrifty RIMS canister from Nor Cal Brewing Solutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got a request here from a member to put together the least expensive RIMS canister I could come up with. We build this. Its JUST the canister at this point but will be updating the thread as more parts are available.

This will come in under $50

Its 16" long overall, 2" TC on one side for your element adapter (We are puting together a VERY inexpensive solution for that as well). I think once all is said and done with element we should be under $100 to get it all put together.

Shoot me a PM if you want to get a canister on order. I will put you on my list. We are building these in our fab shop in CA.

Cheers
Jay

ThriftyRIMS1.jpg

ThriftyRIMS2.jpg

Yep, Jaybird that is pretty sweet. Do you have a way to make a clamp mount for it? I could definitely see this bolted to my new BIAB stand!!
Here is a thrifty controller I thought might work. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=471
It's even on sale right now. I have no idea if it would work for a RIMS system or brewing purposes at all. But if it would that would bring the whole thing in under $200.00!!

I already have a RIMs, but I wanted to tell you that looks sweet. One suggestion, weld a tee on top instead so that a temp probe can be attached.

I already have a RIMs, but I wanted to tell you that looks sweet. One suggestion, weld a tee on top instead so that a temp probe can be attached.

Great idea. We were going to do a TEE but went with the 1/2 coupling 1 for ease of fabricating and cost (Trying to make it as thrifty as possible) and 2 so you can attach a TEE or any hardware you want directly out of it.

Maybe I will make it an "option" :)

Cheers
Jay

Damn. Just got my brewhardware rims in the mail yesterday.
Have to ask, why 2 inch instead of 1.5?

Damn. Just got my brewhardware rims in the mail yesterday.
Have to ask, why 2 inch instead of 1.5?

If you want to use a little larger element, or flow a little faster and not have to worry about the element hitting the sides of the canister. I have a feeling we can do the 1.5" with the element were planning on using but I wanted to make it universal. Honestly the cost is in the labor not the material so really why not.....

Cheers
Jay

Subscribed. Really interested in what the final product comes out to be as I'm in the process of putting a RIMS together and was looking at the Brew Hardware RIMS 12" kit.

I got the elements in today. Doing to do a few water tests and see just how this will go together. I was hoping the element would thread into a stock part but its not looking that way.

More to come!

Cheers
Jay

I was wondering about that myself when I was looking at that element. Figured that it was going to be a weirdo thread size though.

Just grind the treads out of the way on the TC fitting maybe? Then use the nut to tighten it down, that is what I was thinking anyway.

Sweet Jay, I like your name (THRIFTY RIMS) better though.

Yep, I want one whole system if it all works out please.

Then we will talk about royalties:ban::ban::ban:

Sweet Jay, I like your name (THRIFTY RIMS) better though.

Yep, I want one whole system if it all works out please.

Then we will talk about royalties:ban::ban::ban:

Royalties? Ohhh that's the crown I have to send you because your Royal? No problem....Baahhhaaaaaaaa

Do you like Crown and Coke? LOL

Cheers
Jay

Royalties? Ohhh that's the crown I have to send you because your Royal? No problem....Baahhhaaaaaaaa

Do you like Crown and Coke? LOL

Cheers
Jay

Royal pain is the butt is more like it.:D:D

Seriously though looks like this brainchild of ours might just work. Thanks for taking the time to work on a project for us CHEAPO'S. :mug::mug:

Great idea. We were going to do a TEE but went with the 1/2 coupling 1 for ease of fabricating and cost (Trying to make it as thrifty as possible) and 2 so you can attach a TEE or any hardware you want directly out of it.

Maybe I will make it an "option" :)

Cheers
Jay

A male NPT output would make the TEE option much easier. Does that fit the thrifty model?

Would that enclosure, the More Beer element, and the Auber temp controller be all that's needed to go to a RIMS system? That's under $150!

Are you looking to maybe sell a RIMS system based on the enclosure as asked earlier in this thread? I may be in if so. How hard would it be to bolt the tube to my Top Tier?

Would that enclosure, the More Beer element, and the Auber temp controller be all that's needed to go to a RIMS system? That's under $150!

Are you looking to maybe sell a RIMS system based on the enclosure as asked earlier in this thread? I may be in if so. How hard would it be to bolt the tube to my Top Tier?

I just got the elements in yesterday. Auber is on order as of yesterday as well. Other than the obvious of needing a pump, ball valve Thermowell and a few little hardware parts and pieces, yeah. I think you will be closer to $175- $200 after all is said and done but its coming along nicely as a "thrifty" solution to RIMS.

I want to test the Auber myself before I personally say it will work.
The element from B3 doesn't come with a plug. It comes with an adapter plug so you will also need to buy a plug but those are like $10 and I think we will be getting some to be able to offer them so you don't have to order one form like Walmart or Target.

I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to bolt this to your Top Tier. Drill a hole and bolt it on.

Cheers
Jay

Finally was able to get the caps drilled for this ODD BALL sized element. I LOVE THIS ELEMENT! It is amazing at first glance! Solid and looks amazingly easy to clean! If it works 1/2 as good as it looks I'M SOLD! I received the controller and was bale to get it all put together tonight. Tomorrow I will water test and test the PID. I seriously think we are going to be able to get this out the door with element AND controller for under $250 with ball valve, connections AND thermowell!

Just keeping you guys in the loop! I MIGHT go full production with the 1.5" NOT the 2" for a couple reasons, cost being a HUGE factor. But if we can make this more efficient using the 1.5 its a bonus all around! I want to be able to create something for you guys that truly is "THRIFTY" and I think we are getting REAL CLOSE!

And of course everything will be an option. You dont want the ball valve? remove it! no controller? remove it! you get the idea! I LOVE options and I know you guys do as well!

Cheers
Jay

RIMSELEMENT.jpg

NCBSRIMS.jpg

Looks almost exactly how I imagined it, very nice!!!!!! Pretty sure I need you to send me this if it works good. I am going to back burner my (other) idea for now.

I fully expect my Crown N Coke if this thing works out too.:ban::ban::tank::rockin:

Did a full water test and TEMP RISE test to see what this will do with just water.

Started with 8 gallons of water @60*F
circulating at aprox 1/2-3/4 gallon a min
In 2.5 hours it went from 60 to 160 (set point)

This is running at 110VAC NOT 240....

I think it did very well myself.

Cheers
Jay

ThriftyRIMS4.jpg

What would be the result of running a 2000w 120v element with that controller? Would the PID only output it's max wattage? Or would the element simply draw to much power for the box to handle?
It says it's rated for 1500w. I guess I'm curious if would just throttle the output to 1500...
Sorry if this is OT, but I couldn't find anything certain on aubers page.

What would be the result of running a 2000w 120v element with that controller? Would the PID only output it's max wattage? Or would the element simply draw to much power for the box to handle?
It says it's rated for 1500w. I guess I'm curious if would just throttle the output to 1500...
Sorry if this is OT, but I couldn't find anything certain on aubers page.

It's listed on the controller 1500 WATTS @ 120 VAC. I would assume the draw is going to "COME" from the element because that is what its rated to draw. Therefor you would be using the PID as a fuse and that is never good.

Unfortunately past that I would have to direct you to call or email them.

Cheers
Jay

Alright guys here it is.

I am going to start taking PM orders as of right now. I will be putting this up as a "PRE ORDER" so I can get more of the controllers and the elements in stock. I am thinking 2 weeks out for all orders to ship. Pre order is going to be $249.99 as it sits in the picture. After we get the PRE ORDERS built and fulfilled for you guys that have been following the thread I am going to raise the price to $259.99 as it sits in the picture.

PM me before Christmas and you will also get free shipping with our Free Shipping Promo.

Questions? FIRE AWAY!

Cheers
Jay

I want one!!!!!! But it will have to wait till next year.:(

Hey, how much would it be to weld two mounting tabs to the tube? I have a space saved just for this on my awesome BIAB stand you built for me.:)

Did you do any testing using a 240V source? I'd like to see how much faster the water temp got to 160. 2.5hrs to 160F from 60F seems a bit much for me.

The system looks good Jay. Great job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back