conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libirm

Reaction score
Hello
I want to upgrade my system from 5/6 gallon plastic buckets to a conical fermenter.
I have seen the plastic Kind- Fast Fermenter
And the SS kind- of course much more money.

I am just looking for some comments from brewers that have made a similar change and if they had any advise on which is the best economical
way to go.

Thanks in advance
Birmys Brew

I have a SS Chronical and very much enjoy it. But like anything, there are pros and cons to consider to make your best choice.
Pros- Easy-peasy harvest of yeast (this was important to me)
Quick, simple transfer to bottling bucket / keg (really enjoy this feature each time)
Includes thermowell which I wanted for using in my ferm chamber
Solid, no worry of oxygenation from breathing plastic containers
Looks- it just looks really nice, there is value in that
Cons- Cost
Cleanup time- while it cleans easy enough, you do spend more time with all the parts

Thanks
Which SS Chronical would you recommend?
I like this one- CAL 14 GAL FERMENTER

If I went That way- how would I Cool it in the summer and warm it in the winter? Likely it would stay in my garage.

Thanks

I have the 7g as I don't brew large batches, so that is certainly another consideration.

I built a ferm chamber and keep it in my basement, my brother keeps his in his detached garage. I cool with a very small dorm fridge, my brother with a bit larger dorm fridge, both work well. I heat with a reptile cable and works well, my brother the same but needs to supplement in the winter (he's in North Jersey) and uses the smallest space heater possible.

Ferm chamber build is easy and should be ~$100 w/cheap fridge. I also updated a STC 1000 for temp control, there is a good STC 1000+ build thread here that is easy to complete.

I have 2 SS Brewtech 7 gallon conicals and 1 stout 7 gallon conical. After I bought my Stout (which is well made), I realized I had no way to control fermentation temperatures in it. As a result, I was entirely at the whim of the weather. After one really aweful red ale which fermented at 75 degrees due to an unexpected heat spell, I bought an SS brewtech conical with FTS temperature control. It worked so well, I bought a second. I recently added the additional heating pad and new controllers.

I will add to the pro's of any stainless steel conical is that they are easy to clean and won't scratch like plastic. In addition, with tri-clover fittings on a conical, you have lots of options for accessories like sight glasses, sampling valves, elbows, camlock quick disconnects for hoses, hose barbs, etc. In addition you don't need a racking cane or siphon.

To add to the cons, they are more expensive to buy, but even more expensive when you start to accessorize with extra valves, fittings, etc. In addition, while dumping trub and yeast is great, particularly if you save yeast for later use, the dump valve sometimes gets clogged and won't dump at all. That can be a pain.

Overall, I would never go back to buckets, carboys or better bottles after owning a conical.

Conicals are the cat's pajamas, bees knees, the belle of the ball, the greatest thing since sliced bread, the dog's bollock's .... i don't know about that last one,

When I switched from plastic to SS Conicals I was sorry I ever waited. Plastic has too many downfalls in my opinion; stainless will last a life time. Plus the features a conical adds are worth their weight in gold. They're expensive, so I could see why not getting one right away would work. If they aren't really something in your price range. I would at the very least get a Ss Brewtech bucket. I haven't used one, but, for me, anything other than plastic is the way to go.

I considered buying a conical but in the end i decided to switch from PET better bottles to corny kegs that i've lightly modified. It's been the best change to my system all year.

-I bent the liquid dip tubes to reach from the bottom to the side. This leaves basically all of the yeast and trub and only racks clear beer.
-I cut the gas dip tube so it's flush on the inside

Pros:
Cheap ($50/ea)
Super easy to take gravity samples
Pressure rated >100 PSI (all the home brew conicals will only take a couple psi at most)
Can rack with a closed system w/o external co2 required.
Head pressure minimizes kraussen
Built in stainless steel racking cane!
Relatively easy to clean.
Easy-ish to lift

Cons:
Can't see your beer (but i'd argue a gravity sample is more useful)
Max volume is about 5G for lagers, maybe 4.5-4.75G for ales. You'll need to adjust your batch size accordingly. I do 9.5G and 14G batches now depending upon if i want 2 or 3.
Corny disconnects can clog with dry hops easily.

I have 2 SS Brewtech 7 gallon conicals and 1 stout 7 gallon conical. After I bought my Stout (which is well made), I realized I had no way to control fermentation temperatures in it. As a result, I was entirely at the whim of the weather. After one really aweful red ale which fermented at 75 degrees due to an unexpected heat spell, I bought an SS brewtech conical with FTS temperature control. It worked so well, I bought a second. I recently added the additional heating pad and new controllers.

I will add to the pro's of any stainless steel conical is that they are easy to clean and won't scratch like plastic. In addition, with tri-clover fittings on a conical, you have lots of options for accessories like sight glasses, sampling valves, elbows, camlock quick disconnects for hoses, hose barbs, etc. In addition you don't need a racking cane or siphon.

To add to the cons, they are more expensive to buy, but even more expensive when you start to accessorize with extra valves, fittings, etc. In addition, while dumping trub and yeast is great, particularly if you save yeast for later use, the dump valve sometimes gets clogged and won't dump at all. That can be a pain.

Overall, I would never go back to buckets, carboys or better bottles after owning a conical.

This is what you referring too?
http://www.ssbrewtech.com/collections/fermenters/products/7-gallon-chronical

Drop some coin on a conical. You won't regret it. Look at it this way, brewing is a relatively cheap hobby, compared to say, buying a piano, nice guitar, golf clubs, mountain bike, jet ski, etc.

I have one of these http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-5G-Conic...287412?hash=item33c3802574:g:YhEAAOSwcBhWWI3m

I use it with one of these jackets http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool-zone-cooling-jacket.html which fits perfect , a cheap heater strip along with an stc1000 and a chiller for temp control but you could easily use an inkbird temp controller with an aquaruim pump in a bath of ice water to do the same thing or even make a diy chiller out of an old ac unit. an even cheaper solution is to just wrap the outside of the conical with some blue discharge hose and run coolant through that which is what Ive done on all my conicals after I set up the stout one.

Drop some coin on a conical. You won't regret it. Look at it this way, brewing is a relatively cheap hobby, compared to say, buying a piano, nice guitar, golf clubs, mountain bike, jet ski, etc.

Interesting that you mentioned "nice guitar"- I have decided to sell two of mine and a amp to finance my expansion...

Thanks

I'll be playing more Brew master than guitar now. ;) :)

I recently bought a plastic...although a much more durable/hard plastic..conical: The Catalyst, and it is fantastic. Light weight and easy to use. I used to brew with some friends and we used buckets and carboys. The ability to dump the trub without transferring is really nice. I went this way over a SS one for was ease of use and the mason jar attachment, so far I don't regret that decision (I am only on the first batch in it, but still...).

There is a whole thread on it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=586764

I bought this one. 14 gallon. Then went and bought a $300 frost free freezer and simple temp control. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Yeast harvesting was important as was CIP. With some parts we sell I was able to accomplish both. CIP is BOMB!

Good luck with the expansion efforts!

Cheers
Jay

Creamale.jpg

epic3.jpg

Interesting that you mentioned "nice guitar"- I have decided to sell two of mine and a amp to finance my expansion...

Thanks

I'll be playing more Brew master than guitar now. ;) :)

Well that certainly helps!

Seriously, there are lots of opinions here but you do NOT need a conical to make good beer, nor the SS heating / cooling setup. They are nice, but if you are budget minded, you can do fine without. A ferm chamber is more versatile (unless you don't have the space)- you can use on multiple batches at the same time, though only one is truly temp controlled, unless you create a multi-chamber, not necessary. I ran a double batch on Sunday with a friend, one in my SS conical, the other a bucket. Temp control is on the conical but the bucket will be fine too. I've done this before (a bucket, SS conical and a mini conical) and even with my small ferm chamber I can fit 3 buckets and a conical if I choose (fits in nicely with the shape of the conical legs). They will all taste great. The bucket will take more time to transfer and I dislike scooping yeast out (but will do that as well). The conical will take more time to clean, easier transfer and harvest yeast. The main thing I didn't realize before getting the conical is how much more time it takes to clean- yes it cleans easy, but if you are as thorough as me, you will likely spend a lot more time than the simple bucket cleaning process.

I'd apply funds to other upgrades first as needed, such as your brewing equipment (I have the Grainfather but there are other all in one options too). Brew on! :mug:

I bought this one. 14 gallon. Then went and bought a $300 frost free freezer and simple temp control. I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Yeast harvesting was important as was CIP. With some parts we sell I was able to accomplish both. CIP is BOMB!

Good luck with the expansion efforts!

Cheers
Jay
I was just thinking about the CIP attachment. All you need is a pump to recirc, correct? How long do you run it and how much fluid do you recirc? I am seriously considering this, so glad to hear someone likes this on the smaller scale. Love the idea of hook it up and walk away! And less time cleaning! Any issues with lines getting moldy? Or just hang 'em up and walk away?

Id go for temp control before Id spend money on SS anything personally. Id prefer stainless just from a safety perspective. Glass carboys are ... large/heavy/awkward/slippery when wet/and friggin glass.

Ill probably just end up going with two of the SS buckets. I can fit two of those in my ferm fridge, but I cant fit even a 7g true conical. I also kind of like doing just 5g batches instead of the 10g's I used to do. Though occasionally if its a special beer that we plan to keg + bottle we do a 10g batch.

There are a lot of ways to tackle this problem.

I was just thinking about the CIP attachment. All you need is a pump to recirc, correct? How long do you run it and how much fluid do you recirc? I am seriously considering this, so glad to hear someone likes this on the smaller scale. Love the idea of hook it up and walk away! And less time cleaning! Any issues with lines getting moldy? Or just hang 'em up and walk away?

I have 2 way I can CIP. Using the pump attached to my brew stand or I actually have an extra pump I can use and do most of the time. I simply add the liquid (about 2 gallons) and my PBW to my conical. Attach the pump directly to the bottom with a 90* and my cam locks. Pump just hangs off the front. Then I pump from the bottom to the top through my 3" spray head attached to the top of my conical.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Spray-Head-3-Inch-NPT-Nipple.html

We have to use a pass through 1.5" TC part like this

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/Tri-Clover-1.5-Inch-x-Half-Inch-NPT-Coupling.html

you can use a Tee as well.

I might have a picture of it all set up... I'll look

I haven't seen any mold. Not sure why you would. CIP, Rinse, and open up and air dry. Hang your hoses so they drain and your golden.

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird, how much clearance do you need for the mason jar and valve? I have the 1 bbl SS fermenters so I'm not sure I have the clearance between the bottom of the conical and the shelf.

If you are a 5 gal batch brewer I agree with above. If you want SS get the brewbuckets and an old or new fridge or chest freezer to use as a fermentation chamber. Back when I was a 5gal brewer my kegerator pulled double duty oftentimes as a fermentation chamber for layering and holding a couple cornys for serving.

Jaybird, how much clearance do you need for the mason jar and valve? I have the 1 bbl SS fermenters so I'm not sure I have the clearance between the bottom of the conical and the shelf.

Its going to be dependent on the jar you want to use but if you look in my pictures you see I added our custom leg extension kit to the bottom of my Conical. I honestly don't think with the "Stock" legs from Ss a jar will fit under there.
BUT... to answer your question at least "in part" the harvester part itself is only 1 1/8" long

Cheers
Jay

Its going to be dependent on the jar you want to use but if you look in my pictures you see I added our custom leg extension kit to the bottom of my Conical. I honestly don't think with the "Stock" legs from Ss a jar will fit under there.
BUT... to answer your question at least "in part" the harvester part itself is only 1 1/8" long

Cheers
Jay
I use two 45 degree curved stainless adapters so my jar sits out over the edge of the counter the conicals sit on.. this works well with 10 gallon brews since there is enough dead yeast to fill almost all the way to the sampling/drain valve on the side but I imagine with 5 gallons it would waste beer.

Cheers
Jay
I use two 45 degree curved stainless adapters so my jar is offset and sits out over the edge of the counter the conicals sit on.. this works well with 10 gallon brews since there is enough dead yeast to fill almost all the way to the sampling/drain valve on the side but I imagine with 5 gallons it would waste beer.

How do you use the jar system when you do multiple dumps? Does the seconds and third one introduce an air burp like the catalyst videos?

I use two 45 degree curved stainless adapters so my jar is offset and sits out over the edge of the counter the conicals sit on.. this works well with 10 gallon brews since there is enough dead yeast to fill almost all the way to the sampling/drain valve on the side but I imagine with 5 gallons it would waste beer.

We are working on a very killer solution to that at the moment.

I personally fill my harvester with Co2 at the moment so the BURP is no big deal. But there are parts in the works for that.

Cheers
Jay

The choices are from I have seen:
PET or HDPE Conical fermenter, like
Fast ferment
The Catalyst
Speidal
Brewdemon
Then SS type
Ss Brew Tech from $225 and up.
Spike Brewing $475.00 and up
Stout Kegs and Kettles $289.99 and up (The winner for me- but shipping a killer)
Blichmann 479.99 and up

I definitely want a SS one- PRO's are many, Longevity & Sanitary reasons , ease of beer movement, such as fermented brew to keg.

Cons- easily the cost- so it my postpone my purchase for awhile.

For those already using SS Conicals- here is another question...

When you want to dry hop- do your put the batch into another fermenter or just drop the yeast out and use the same fermenter for the dry hopping?

If the same Conical is used- that would be a big plus and kind of knocks out a SS Brew bucket....no way to pull the yeast out-

I dry hop in a SS canister like Jaybird posted. I'll dry hop with a couple of points left in fermentation and/or after final gravity. I purge with CO2 when I dry hop after FG. I do this for both my SS brew buckets and conical

When you want to dry hop- do your put the batch into another fermenter or just drop the yeast out and use the same fermenter for the dry hopping?

If the same Conical is used- that would be a big plus and kind of knocks out a SS Brew bucket....no way to pull the yeast out-

I definitely want a SS one- PRO's are many, Longevity & Sanitary reasons , ease of beer movement, such as fermented brew to keg.

Cons- easily the cost- so it my postpone my purchase for awhile.

I dry hop in a bag, either paint strainer or hop bag. It goes right into the conical, if a NEIPA then early! While I do harvest the yeast, no reason to worry about yeast staying in throughout. The brew bucket is fine, in fact I plan on 2 (minis) for Christmas, I wish to split batches I've brewed and use different yeast strains. The advantage of the brew buckets (both sizes) are they also have a rotating racking cane, so easy transfer out. For yeast harvest just swirl her up and pour out, might even try, with good sanitation, pull the racking point off and pour out that hole. No worries for me on using these with the yeast in there the whole time.

Don't forget you will likely spend more time with your SS conical cleaning (because you'll want it nice!). That can be a con for some, just need to be aware.

Back