Apple Pure for Pectins. Milkshake IPA questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rzlblrt417

Reaction score
So i have been doing an excessive amount of reading about the Milkshake series that are from Tired Hands and Omnipollo and am now trying to clone the recipe.

In an article that i read, they said that they use pureed green apples in order to extract pectins to give it some geletin and give it softer mouthfeel, however they don't give an idea about how much they use. Doe anyone have experience with this and know roughly how many apples I should use?

Also they have a very subtle amount of fruit flavor in their beer and I was wondering how to dial that in. When i have used fruit in the past it totally overwhelms the beer.

And if anyone has an idea of what hops to use I am all ears.

Thanks!

That sounds great? Do you mind elaborating a little bit more?

Did you use oats and lacto sugar? And how early was the fruit additions.i am assuming you did peach

EDIT: I'm an idiot and didn't see your full post on my phone

View attachment 378228this is what I did. Used Amarillo instead of mosaic also used conan yeast.. No apple I already brewed it before I heard of that. Smells amazing just waiting to keg, everyone gave me **** for fruit addition so early but so far so good[emoji120][emoji482]. Let me know how yours turns out and if you tweeted it at all.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but would love to hear how this turned out

Sorry to bump an old thread, but would love to hear how this turned out

Sorry that took so long but I gave each technique a try and what i found was the two best options are to do a combo of oats and corn to give a creamy backbone to a normal IPA. Makes and imperial go down way smoother but you definitely want to use rice hulls in you mash with both of those. The apple on the other hand nailed the milkshake feel. Definitely doing this going forward. Hope that helps.

Back