Bayou Homebrew Kit for BIAB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoreman

Reaction score
I'm thinking of setting up a small 3 gallon BIAB kit for bottled batches and was wondering if anyone has picked up the Bayou Classic Homebrew Starter Kit http://amzn.to/2f81iED it's currently on sale for $95 and comes with burner, stainless pot and some nice accessories.

Anyone using this setup? :mug:

It looks like a great deal. Things to think of however.

you could almost do a 5 gallon batch in it (thinking of the future) but almost is a big word, more like a 4.25 gallon batch.

The stainless mash paddle is a nice touch.

all in all a great deal to be used "as is". you will need an immersion chiller, you don't want to move this with near boiling liquid by yourself. but good news is that putting in a stainless steel bulkhead ball valve is under 20 these days.

go for it if you are looking for just 3 gallon biab batches. but for 3 gallon batches electric will be much cheaper.

Thanks kristiismean - what can you recommend for a BIAB in electric? Do you mean just on my stove? I'm wanting a separate brew area.

yes, if you have an electric stove it will be cheaper.

you could go with an inductive burner, but limited to 120 v 1800 at a reasonable cost, and it will pay for itself over time but then you would limit yourself to 3 gallon batches.

the question you need to ask yourself, before buy that bayou classic setup, which is a great deal, is are you ready to be limited to 3 gallon batches, or do you want to step up to full 5 gallon batches. or more? there is no room in that set up for growth,

but then, it's under 100 dollars, and has a stainless mash paddle, so not a waste if you use if for a little bit...

Thanks for the ideas kristiismean. Electric brewing is interesting to read up on.

Back