Pale Mild and English IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binosbrew

Reaction score
Hello everyone
this is my first extract brewing+steeping grains after a Pils kit which is still maturing but tastes already fine.

This mild recipe is adapted from a Norther Brewer recipe, it has some modifications I made because of the availability of some ingredients so, as I am a complete newbie, I wanted to post it here to check if things are fine.
With some malt extract left (I have a small fermenter) I wanted to brew an english IPA, so I adapted a recipe I found here on the forum to my leftovers. It is posted below so please tell me if this is fine too. I am going to use S-04 for both of them.

P.S. The beers might not be perfectly in style, but what I am more worried about is trying to understand if the combination and quantities of hops\grains is ok. Thank you!!

AK-47 Pale Mild-final
Mild

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 5.0
Total Grain (lb): 5.000
Total Hops (oz): 1.10
Original Gravity (OG): 1.036 (°P): 9.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.009 (°P): 2.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.54 %
Colour (SRM): 9.4 (EBC): 18.5
Bitterness (IBU): 18.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 100
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.473 lb Liquid Extract - Maris Otter (89.46%)
0.497 lb Crystal 80 (9.94%)
0.030 lb Chocolate (0.6%)

Hop Bill
----------------
0.83 oz East Kent Golding Leaf (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.27 oz East Kent Golding Leaf (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.1 oz/Gal)

IPA Maris Golding
English IPA

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G): 5.0
Total Grain (lb): 7.112
Total Hops (oz): 5.09
Original Gravity (OG): 1.051 (°P): 12.6
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.01 %
Colour (SRM): 6.0 (EBC): 11.8
Bitterness (IBU): 46.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 100
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
6.751 lb Liquid Maris Otter (94.92%)
0.361 lb Crystal 10 (5.08%)

Hop Bill
----------------
1.00 oz East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.82 oz East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.23 oz East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
1.23 oz East Kent Golding Pellet (4.7% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
0.82 oz East Kent Golding Leaf (4.7% Alpha) @ 1 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 19°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 1°C with

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

K47 IMPERIAL UNITS.jpg

IPA IMPERIAL UNITS.jpg

Anything I should change? Is the amount of crystal appropriate in the English IPA? Thank you!

It looks fine to me

I'd add a dryhop for the ipa, an oz or two would be enough

Thank you for your help! I just finished brewing the Mild and made a mistake calculating the water boil off. I find myself with barely 6 liters instead of 7.8liters as it was supposed to be :(. The original gravity is 1.040 instead of 1.036. I guess i should not dilute it, even if the wort it tastes quite bitter.
Another problem I had was to maintain a good rolling boil (at last I had to split one of the two pots in another one= three pots:eek:). The thermometer indicated 98C at some points in one pot, any DMS risk?

You can definitely top up the fermenter to your intended volume for extract batches. Most people do that.

Cheers, another brewmate user! :)

Extract is precooked, and so are the crystal/dark malts. I wouldn't worry about DMS.

I'd have used lighter crystal in the pale mild, and less of it. But that's all personal preference, for sure.

Is the 6.7 pounds of MO in the IPA a specify quantity (like two 3.3 pound cans)? If that's flexible, I'd consider reducing that and add back table sugar. For an IPA, substituting some sugar for LME will help lighten it up and dry it out some. It's liable to maybe be more malty than you want as is.

Thanks Weezy, actually I had not thought that I am using only extract and specialty grains! Would a weak boil be a problem in case of an all grain brew? As for the Crystal yes, the website I ordered from only had that version so it is darker than I thought, but that's fine. Is it going to change the flavour much?
For the IPA I can definately use some table sugar (cane or brown? I have both). What percentage do you suggest?

Bill
should I add the remaining lt of water even if it altready started fermenting? according to brewmate the ibus don't seem so different. I don't know, I'm tempted to just leave it like this

You know your typed recipe is different than the brewmate recipe right?

I noticed your brewmate recipe show 100% efficiency. that should be 70% for extract. I was wondering how you were getting 5 gallon beers out of so little extract.

Looking back at your brewmate screen, I'll tell you what I'd do and I'll tell you why.
90% LME
7% table sugar
3% crystal
This will lighten the extract and the low percentage of crystal will give you some flavor without much sweetness, which you don't want much of as it competes with the hops.

As far as adding water, taste it when it's done fermenting. You can add water then even.

you said the wort was bitter? It really should have been pretty sweet with some roughness from the chocolate.

And you need a good rolling boil for at least 60 minutes for all grain.

And you should be using distilled or RO water with extract. Extract already has salts in it from the water they used to make the extract.

Back