Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > So many types of yeast?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
Kubed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinhomebrew
Let me know what yeast bricks you are interested in and I will look into tracking them down.

Forrest
Well, what can you get?

I think yeast that gets a lot of mileage/has a lot of utility would be pretty popular. Nottingham, WLP001, WLP320, WLP400 and Red Star Montrachet are all strains that I don't think I could have too much of on hand.

Bottled: IPA, Hefeweizen, Magic Hat #9 clone, CCA, Apfelwein, Panty Dropping Apple Cider
Kegged: Belgian White PM, Orfy's Hob Goblin

Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Even Poppa Charlie Papazian tends to use a single strain of yeast for most beers...It's a strain he's been cultivating for 20 years...He talks about it a little bit in this interview on basicbrewing http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicb...-08history.mp3

In fact according to a thread from last week, it is now commercially available...

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-19-2008, 12:16 PM   #13
HBDrinker008
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Wyeast 1056

Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2867 Times on 1696 Posts
Likes Given: 3510

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBDrinker008
Wyeast 1056
Are you saying this is the papazian yeast?

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5932 Times on 4230 Posts
Likes Given: 1514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy
Are you saying this is the papazian yeast?
The Papazian yeast is called "Cry Havoc". 1056 is a very nice neutral well attenuating yeast, and it's a favorite of many brewers.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 03-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #16
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I pretty much always use liquid yeast (dry is fine, not trying to start that argument), and I pretty much only keep a couple around.

I use White Labs American Ale yeast as my staple. I use it for everything from a light blond, to a ESB, to an IPA to a Stout.

I also keep on hand White Labs WLP300 Hefe yeast on hand for all of my wheat beers. Hefe's, american wheats, fruit wheats, whatever.

I also keep on hand WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast. I use this for all my Belgains, whether it be Golden Ales, Dubbles, Tripples whatever. However, I am considering changing this. I am going to try a different Belgian yeast this summer and see if I like it better. This yeast has a wonderfully complex flavor/aroma, but it can be a PITA as it is a sloooowww fermenter and flocculation is pretty bad. With this yeast I have to give it a long fermentation, and a long cold crash before I can keg it and even after a cold crash, I still get the occasional pint of yeast. I think I might try the blend WLP575 and see what I think of it.

And that is pretty much all I will use all summer. This winter with a colder basement, i tried a couple new yeasts that I just about fell in love with.

Wyeast 2112 California lager. Fermented great in my 58 degree basement and was very clean yeast. Malt/hop profiles really shined with this yeast.

German Ale 1007. This is probably my favorite yeast as of right now. At the low end of the temp range (58) where I was fermenting, it fermented very, very clean. Almost lager-esque, so much so that I would have no problem making an Okoberfest, or Bock or some other sort of lager like that. I dont think I could make the American Lager style with it, it is not quite THAT clean, but it is a very clean, very active, very good yeast at that temp.