National Homebrew Day Giveaway - Enter Now - Weekend Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > First Time IPA

Old 03-19-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
Cburke501
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default First Time IPA

I'm brewing an extract IPA. I had some krausen coming through the hydrolock for the first 48 hrs, but it has trailed off and mellowed out.

Today, I opened the primary to add some Cascades for dry hopping. I noticed that there is a pretty large amount of solid crap floating right on top. It wasn't just foam, it had some serious mass to it. When I dumped the hops in (whole flower) I just let them lay on top of that stuff. Is this abnormal? Fermentation seemed to be going well thus far.

Any help is appreciated

Old 03-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #2
Beerthoven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think your beer will be ok. The dry hops should sink into the beer once the krausen falls away completely.

I usually give the beer a full 2 or 3 weeks in the primary before racking to a secondary, then add dry hops in the secondary. I'll let the hops sit in the beer for a week or so then bottle.

Primary/Secondary: --
Kegged: #119 American Brown, #120 American Pale
Planned: IPA, Wheat