Low and Slow or High and Hot Brisket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
Trying to plan a Brisket smoke for a party tonight.
The last one(first one ever) took around 9 hours for a 3 # brisket and although the temp was at 190 when we pulled it it was a bit dry.I'm reading you can start without foil and wrap at 170 at 250/275.This method only takes around 4 hours?? I'm trying to have it ready between 8:30 and 10:30

Which method would you recommend?
Do I smoke at 225 till it hits 170 THEN up the temp and wrap in foil?
Its 9:45 now.I was going to start smoking at 11:30 for low and slow or wait till till 4 for high and hot??

If its not ready in time it will be a waste
4# 2" at its thickest

Will go by what the pros here recommend Thanks

20161029_094208_resized.jpg

take it from someone who grew up with brisket. Low and Slow... Low and Slow..

Low and slow with injection is how I've gotten my best brisket results although a lot of cooks who make excellent brisket don't inject. I also make sure the brisket is at room temp before putting it in the smoker. I spray with an apple juice/beer mix for the first few hours on the smoker then sometimes I wrap in foil when the meat is about 20-25 degrees below my target internal temp from then until its finished. I rest about 30-45 minutes in a small cooler before slicing.

I do not warm my brisket to death. 190 is too cool for me. I found this leads to dried out meat.

I run 275-300.

I wrap in brown paper bags when the bark is right.

I expect to be cooking 10 hours but time is just a guide... same w/ temp.

I cook till the meat feels like I'm probing warm butter. Then get it off and let it rest...

I like to have mine done hours before I need it. I keep it warm in an ice chest un-sliced.

Would like to now how it turned out too.

I've heard brisket is hard not be cause of the meat but because each brisket is different from each other and that two identical in weight briskets cooked side by side will be different. One may be awesome and the other so so.

Championship Q'ers may cook five and then choose which one they'll turn in for judging.

Low and slow cooking is EXACTLY like mashing. It involves enzymes that chop up the 'chewy' meat components and render them much more pliable. Getting the meat into the 150F range promotes the enzymatic activity. One problem is that the enzymes are locked in the meat and don't move around as well as the similar enzymes in wort do.

Low and slow.

I quit going low n slow on brisket years ago. I am a KCBS CBJ so I know how to judge brisket. I BBQ packers at 350*F until 170*F internal, wrap in foil until 205*F internal. Moist and juicy EVERY time. http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html
How do you get the grill to 350. Wide open vents and a lot of fuel? Seems like my smoker would be difficult to get that hot. WSM 18"

Well, I am from the South, so you know I am going to say "low & slow is the way to go."

;)

I did one 2 weeks ago and it was a 3lb flat and it went 6.5 hours, 200 degrees, was the best brisket I've done yet. I only wrapped it in foil after removing from the smoker.

How do you get the grill to 350. Wide open vents and a lot of fuel? Seems like my smoker would be difficult to get that hot. WSM 18"

I have to place a metal skewer horizontally between the lid and center section with one fully engaged lit chimney. Others prop the door open. Still others permanently mod their WSM by adding another top vent.

Well, I am from the South, so you know I am going to say "low & slow is the way to go."

;)

LOL I am from Texas and live in Alabama. I believe I qualify as 'from the South'.

I quit going low n slow on brisket years ago. I am a KCBS CBJ so I know how to judge brisket. I BBQ packers at 350*F until 170*F internal, wrap in foil until 205*F internal. Moist and juicy EVERY time. http://virtualweberbullet.com/brisket4.html

I've been doing the same for years now... following the same virtual weber bullet info... It's what I found when looking for ways to do a brisket on kettle grill w/out a smoker.

I'm not a judge... or from the south... but I get great (IMO) results with the hot and fast method.

I use a Weber Kettle with side baskets for indirect heat. All vents wide open. 10-12 lb packers cuts finish in under 6 hours.

Well how did it turn out @JONNYROTTEN ?

Cheers
Jay
It was a big hit at the party but to me it was dry.I took it out after around 10 hour's and it was still 5 deg under temp.I didn't use any foil wrap. I wasn't expecting dry with a low end cooking temp. I want to make another this weekend for a Christmas party at a friends house. I'm thinking of high and Hot according to the previous link. Timing will be important as will maintaining temps as it wont be eaten for hours after I pull it off the grill.

The only other brisket I've made I cooked the same way and was exactly the same..dryish...Trying something different this time

If you follow the virtual Weber bullet, it'll be wrapped in foil at the end. To keep it warm for a while, pull it a little early, wrap in an old towel, and plop it in an igloo cooler.

It was a big hit at the party but to me it was dry.I took it out after around 10 hour's and it was still 5 deg under temp.I didn't use any foil wrap. I wasn't expecting dry with a low end cooking temp. I want to make another this weekend for a Christmas party at a friends house. I'm thinking of high and Hot according to the previous link. Timing will be important as will maintaining temps as it wont be eaten for hours after I pull it off the grill.

The only other brisket I've made I cooked the same way and was exactly the same..dryish...Trying something different this time

I have always done the Smoke for a few hours till the bark is right then do a light spray and wrap with foil with thermo probe inserted in the meat and man are they juicy. The foil seems to keep the rest of the moisture in.

Cheers
Jay

So todays the day for trying High and Hot! I'll go by the method in the link. I bought a 12# choice brisket that I'm it cutting in half.I'm leaving the house at 7 and would like to pull the brisket at that time. It says 5 hours total for 12#....

How long for a 6# brisket?? Same timeframe??
Reading the link its says to add another layer of tin foil for a 1" airspace...Where does that tin foil go?? Having a hard time visualizing it

Brisket will be done when its done. You cant rush it. Some are done before others- just depends on the particular cut.
I've done both ways- I prefer low and slow but do hot and fast when I don't want an all day cook. I usually smoke briskets at night as I have a Stumps smoker.
But if you are going to do hot and fast, I hang in the 325-350 range. Smoke unwrapped until you get the color you want then wrap until a temp probe slides in like butter. I then pull and wrap in a beach towel and into a cooler for at least an hour. Then pull, unwrap and slice. Always juicy.
If I had to guess, you are probably looking at a 5 hr cook give or take.

If you get a dry brisket, you can always place the slices in beef broth for a couple minutes before serving.

WOW this is going fast!
I still have 3 hours before I want to pull it off the grill. I'm at 170 now and I'm going to wrap it.
Should I turn the temp down to slow the cook? 250 Maybe??
I"ve been cooking at 345
I got to 170 in 3 hours and that was putting it on when the grill was still only at 200

Brisket will be done when its done. You cant rush it. Some are done before others- just depends on the particular cut.
I've done both ways- I prefer low and slow but do hot and fast when I don't want an all day cook. I usually smoke briskets at night as I have a Stumps smoker.
But if you are going to do hot and fast, I hang in the 325-350 range. Smoke unwrapped until you get the color you want then wrap until a temp probe slides in like butter. I then pull and wrap in a beach towel and into a cooler for at least an hour. Then pull, unwrap and slice. Always juicy.
If I had to guess, you are probably looking at a 5 hr cook give or take.

If you get a dry brisket, you can always place the slices in beef broth for a couple minutes before serving.
I pulled it at 200 its floating in juice in the tin foil and probes like butter. Should I drain the juice before a 2 hour cooler rest??

I drained it. I didn't want it to get soggy...That being said this thing looks and smells absolutely awesome.

20161203_181351_resized.jpg

It was a HUGE hit!!! I even got a "high end restaurant quality" comment
It sat in the cooler for 2 1/2 hours and was still nice and warm.
Although tender and juicy if not sliced extremely carefully if would have been pulled pork. Does that mean it was overdone,Not sure but it was real good.
I'm hooked on the high and hot method. Minimal taste difference and half the time.

Glad it turned out well. I always do high hot as well. In fact, cooking one now. When it starts to shred that it an indication of more done than required for slicing. However, I would not consider it 'over done' because there are so many uses for it. Tacos and nachos come to mind. Cheers!

Glad it turned out well. I always do high hot as well. In fact, cooking one now. When it starts to shred that it an indication of more done than required for slicing. However, I would not consider it 'over done' because there are so many uses for it. Tacos and nachos come to mind. Cheers!

Chop up overdone brisket and put in a bowl of beer cheese and some chopped hot peppers, then use as an awesome dip with giant nacho chips. Take my word on this :)

Back