Didn't notice until I got home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbunton

Reaction score
As the title implies. Didn't notice until I got home that my lhbs loaded my car with a 55lb bag of marris otter not pale ale malt. However they only charged me for pale malt $50 instead of $69. The fresh hopped smash recipe I've been making and loving is #12 pale malt. Should I use it instead, return it or just go buy a bag of pale malt and not say anything? I've heard marris otter is good however I don't know how much different it will be. Opinions???

Pretty much everything sold in the US as Maris otter is pale ale malt, just made with Maris otter barley. So technically you did get pale ale malt but British (at that price I'm assuming you've been using domestic pale ale). You got a steal for $50, now brew away! Compared to domestic pale ale malt it may be a bit more bready tasting, both would be a little darker kilned than Am 2-row. It makes great SMaSHs. You may never go back.

Honest opinion: I'd send the little lhbs the $19+tax or return the bag for what you originally requested. Either way you'll be supporting a smaller enterprise and building a rapport with them. What if they realize their error after you left? What will they think of you then? If we don't fully support our lhbs's, they will go under and we'll have to buy from NB/INBEV.

Just my $0.02

I love the bready, slightly nutty flavor I get from MO. It's more two-dimensional that 2 row for sure. I've used it for Pales and IPA with great results!

I would definitely call the LHBS to let them know about their mix up, if anything, just to be honest.

Was out and about today so I went back to the store bought a bag of pale malt and paid the difference on the mo. Figure I'll use it as well. They still undercharged me compared to their website $65 for the mo and $50 for the pale 2-row.

The lady was super apologetic as she had almost sold me the wrong yeast yesterday too lol

Yeah, most MO in the states is a blend with 2-row. All MO is a bit pricier but the flavor is a bit richer (I tried both and was kinda digging the noticeable difference in full flavor) to me.

Have fun with that stuff!

By pale malt, do you mean just pale 2 row or what some maltsters call "Pale Ale" malt? If you'd normally use 2-row, there will be a huge difference in the finished product, and most likely for the better. If you use pale ale malt, the difference between that an MO will be more subtle. Pale ale malt is by no means Maris Otter, but they have some similarities in being kilned higher with more bready, biscuity, nutty maltiness. Both are ideal for SMaSH as they will have good malt complexity without any added specialty malt, and they also help lay a malty foundation for maltier styles. Just food for thought.

As for the issue of under-charging at a LHBS, I would always make sure to pay the difference even if they made a mistake, they need all the help and business they can get. For example, was once charged for one case of bottles when I bought 2, and I went out of my way to make sure they got paid. Kudos to you for doing the same even when you didn't have to. :mug:

The first time I made it I used what one home brew shop had labeled as pale malt. Not their two row. I went to a different shop this time and The pale malt malt they gave me today just says two row on the bag. Two row pale malt is all they have listed as two row on their website. I hope it's not just plain two row. Idk I'm confused now lol

It does get very confusing, especially when you consider Maris otter is actually a type of 2-row barley. In the US though the term "2-row" is most often used to mean domestic barley kilned very lightly like 1-2L. Malsters often make a slightly higher kilned product in the 3-4L range that they sell as pale ale malt (but also made from 2-row barley). Confusingly the term "pale malt" usually refers to the lighter, 2-row product. Sounds like this is what your 2nd bag is - do they list the lovibond? Domestic pale ale malt as mentioned is usually closer in taste to most Maris otter that is kilned in the 3-4L range, though Crisp does make an Extra pale Maris otter product that is kilned more like 1.5-2 L (I've not seen it in the US).

Here it is at boil with the marris otter. Didn't get my double batch in have a Halloween party to go to. Unfortunatly no homebrew ready to take with me:-(

IMG_3932.jpg

Looks good... I could never boil a pot that full. 13 gallons in my 15.5 gallon keggle and I still boil over a little.
Cheers

My kettle pot is only about 8gallons so it's always that full. I've gotten used to it. But yes hot break can get a little scary. Haven't boiled over yet knock on wood.

IMG_3774.jpg

IMG_3719.jpg

IMG_3728.jpg

Back