Nitro tap not producing creamy head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exf5003

Reaction score
I installed a nitro tap in my keezer and had a half keg of porter on 75/25 mix beer gass for a good week at 35 psi (also serving at 35 psi). I installed the tap with 8' of 3/16ths ID beer line just like my other co2 lines.

When pouring, I open the tap completely forward until glass is 2/3rds full and than finish by pushing back on the handle for the rich creamy finish.
However, I only get a small creamy head (1/4 inch at most) on the very first glass when i first use the tap. The 2nd and 3rd pour i get nothing. No head what so ever.

Everything that i have read says the best serving pressure for stout faucet is 30-35psi and I'm already at the top end with no luck.

Is my beer line too long/short?
Anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers :mug:

Beer line length doens't matter on a nitro system as the restrictor disc in the faucet sets your dispense pressure. I've found that it takes 2-3 weeks on nitro before the beer reaches the proper equilibrium to pour with the proper creamy head. 1 week just isn't enough time for some reason. Let it sit for a couple more weeks and try again.

Beer line length doens't matter on a nitro system as the restrictor disc in the faucet sets your dispense pressure. I've found that it takes 2-3 weeks on nitro before the beer reaches the proper equilibrium to pour with the proper creamy head. 1 week just isn't enough time for some reason. Let it sit for a couple more weeks and try again.

Thank you for the advice! I knew line length wasn't a major player, I just happened to have 8' remaining so I used it. Does it hurt it by having a long line?
I definitely didn't expect 1 week not being enough time. I'll let it sit and see if it improves, but waiting is probably the hardest thing to do!
Will it help if I shake the keg a bit?

Thanks again.

Probably doesn't hurt having a 8' line. Splitting hairs really at that keg pressure on that setup. Not sure if shaking will help, but maybe gentle rolling. I tend to avoid it as I don't want to destroy the head forming proteins that can be affected when shaken beer foams up in the keg. Finished beer only gets one good foaming before it won't anymore.

Probably doesn't hurt having a 8' line. Splitting hairs really at that keg pressure on that setup. Not sure if shaking will help, but maybe gentle rolling. I tend to avoid it as I don't want to destroy the head forming proteins that can be affected when shaken beer foams up in the keg. Finished beer only gets one good foaming before it won't anymore.

Thanks porterpounder... btw my porter on nitro is a vanilla bean and bourbon porter aged in oak. Delicious, hence why I was hoping for a quick fix :mug:

If you have a spare CO2 port, carbonate to 1.5 volumes with that, then put it on beer gas to serve. You should be good to go.

I've been pouring Nitro beers for years using this process:
1. Keg beer, carbonate with CO2 to 1.5 volumes CO2.
2. Put keg in kegerator on 80/20 beer gas at 26 PSI, and serve immediately.
3. Perfect pour first time and every time.

That's it.

Also, pressure at the faucet should be between ~24-30 psi when beer is properly carbonated (~1.4 - 1.6 volumes CO2) and served around 52F. If you're running a short line, no problem - just bump your reg down. My nitro tap line is about 5.5 feet, and my set pressure for beer gas is 26 psi. Some people have longer lines and experience more pressure losses in their system, so regulator pressures exceeding 30-35 isn't uncommon. The goal of a nitro tap is to force slightly carbonated beer through 5 small holes at high pressure to create many small nucleation points. Don't over think it, and don't bother putting the beer on nitro before serving it.

Latest posts

Back