90 min extract boil, 30 min partial mash boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredrik

Reaction score
Hi,

I made an allgrain Blue Moon clone from this recipe and loved it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=671567&postcount=6

However allgrain takes time and I would like to do an extract version with partial mash for the oats (and some 2-row in there with the oats). To save even more time I would like to start the partial mash and the extract boil at the same time in two different kettles. This would give a 90 minute extract and hops boil, but only a 30 minute boil of the wort from the 60 minute partial mash. Has anyone here tried this? Any drawbacks to be aware of with this method?

I would probably sparge the partial mash through a strainer, so some of the partial mash would get a little less than 30 min boil.

Doesnt seem like a horrible idea. Only issue I could see is that you'll probably end up with some DMS in the final product. By only boiling the wort from the partial mash for 30 minutes you wont drive off all the DMS.

According to a Beersmith article somewhere on the interwebs the half life of DMS is 40 minutes. So only boiling that partial mash wort will only drive off 38% of the DMS. I would cut down on the mash time of the partial mash and start it mashing while the extract water heats up.

This would be my time table...

Heat PM (partial mash) water
Begin PM
Start heating extract water to boil. Depending on your burner this could take 10-15 mins.
Add extract, boil for 30 mins.
Add PM wort to boil. Boil for 60 mins.

Thanks for quick reply! I like your suggestion about shortening the mash time, but would this affect the utilization? (Yes I am new to this :p) Should I counter this by starting out with more oats?

The recipe only calls for 10% oats, so any DMS will be heavily diluted and therefore not any major concern....?

I have a 2kW and a 3,5kW induction plate so there should be plenty of power to get both kettles running at the same time.

Thanks for quick reply! I like your suggestion about shortening the mash time, but would this affect the utilization? (Yes I am new to this :p) Should I counter this by starting out with more oats?

The recipe only calls for 10% oats, so any DMS will be heavily diluted and therefore not any major concern....?

I have a 2kW and a 3,5kW induction plate so there should be plenty of power to get both kettles running at the same time.

Shortening the mash will reduce your efficiency a bit, but nothing really noticeable. The oats are really for body so it shouldnt affect the sugars in the beer too much. You're getting the majority of the sugars from the extract.

Also, I wouldnt add more oats, 10% is fine for the beer.

TBH i dont even know if you extract DMS from oats. It may just be other grains like the 2-row. But you cant remove the 2-row to save on DMS cuz the 2-row is needed to extract the starches from the oats.

Super, I'll give it a go then :) I have a 9 gallon kettle and might do a high gravity boil and then dilute it down to end up with 13 gallons of beer.

Back