Advice on improving this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cletus_Fajitas

Reaction score
Hi.

For the past year I've been trying out recipes for very strong ales. This one yields about 12% abv and is not too bad. But I've noticed a trade-off between strength and a clean flavour, what with all the required additives.

From your experience, can you suggest tweaks I could try that would maintain the 12% but improve the flavour? Thanks.

Day 1 : Wort

6.6 kg Dried Malt Extract + 28 lt Water ( 40’c ) + additives + whisk in oxygen

0.2 kg Fructose from 4 tsp of Honey and 4 tsp Black Strap Molasses

Tannin /Black Tea 6 hpd tsp (")

Calcium Chloride 3 “
Calcium Sulphate 3 “
Epsom Salts 3 “
Citric Acid 2 “
Cream of Tartar 2 “
Ritchies Amylase 2 “
Yeast-Vit 1 “
Vit C Powder 1 “

Gervin GV 4 Yeast 1 pkt
Gervin GV10 Yeast 1 pkt

Day 7 : Bump Up

1.5 kg Tate & Lyle, Inverted. ( Simmer for 30 mins with 1.5 tsp of Citric Acid in 0.7 lt of water in separate pan. )
Heat and Whisk in Oxygen
5 hpd tsp Youngs Yeast Nutrient (DAP)

Leave for 8 Weeks

Keep your initial fermentation temperatures low (65F) if using an ale yeast to keep it clean. I personally hate the taste of fermented molasses. Always tastes like soy sauce to me. I'd toss it. A grain-malt set-up will also likely go a long way toward keeping the flavor clean.

Thanks. I might try replacing 10% of the dme with home malted grain. I've read that grain is more fermentable than dme. Would the other nutrients in grain maybe allow me to cut down on some of the additives?

Back