Secondary Reg questions - leak or no?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xernex

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Hey guys, I picked up 4 older taprite regs on ebay dirt cheap to use as secondary regs in my keezer. Figure worst case scenario they need rebuilds and that'd still be cheaper than they were new.

Decided to test them gradually before implementing them to my system, so added my shut-off barbed fittings with ample thread tape, tightened everything up and hooked it up to my CO2 to pressurize.

I've got the 4 split so it's 2 double sets, hooked up the first two, pressured up to 20 psi then shut off my supply. My thought process here was they should maintain the 20 psi (or close) without any more pressure running to them. One set lost about 5 psi over a 24 hour period. So I decided to try the 2nd set and they lost all 20psi in ~1hr.

I know I can go through with soapy water tests etc, but is my methodology here right at all? Should I expect them to de-pressure with the gas off anyway?

if you have no leaks, they should hold the pressure.

I did this with even my new regs. and then again when i put a T in. (since not using a manifold, only 2 kegs). Mine held 10psi for 1 week before I released the pressure..

I do it now to my kegs, always. since I ALMOST lost a keg to a leak (keg had a small leak, bless the co2 bottle, it kept it going to the last pint...... as in it kicked for 2 seconds then died....)

Thanks - this was my thought process. time for soapy water and looking for bubbles.

Back