To start or not to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paanderson86

Reaction score
I understand the purpose for using a yeast starter but have never used one myself and don't feel that I ever noticed a difference. My beers always have hit the expected FG within a point or so, so I am curious if there really is any reason I should use a yeast starter?

I understand the purpose for using a yeast starter but have never used one myself and don't feel that I ever noticed a difference. My beers always have hit the expected FG within a point or so, so I am curious if there really is any reason I should use a yeast starter?

I could see it being a maybe. Im sure it helps for some things, I too have never done it.

I however wonder if it would be one more variable that would be worth controlling in my beers favor.

The number of yeast cells required at the start depends on volume, gravity, and oxygenation. A pitch that is lower in cell count than it should be can yield the correct attenuation (and thus the correct FG) but be stressed while doing it. If that happens, off flavors happen. Brewing software such as Beersmith can tell you what cell count you need for a given batch, presuming adequate oxygenation. Liquid yeast packs are frequently insufficient for 5 gallon batches; they are intended to be used to make a starter. Dry yeasts have a much higher initial cell count and can generally do the trick for 5 gallons unless the gravity is high. The best thing to do if more cells are needed with dry yeast is to pitch two dry packs.

Last edited:
I always do dry yeast and I always pitch it right in. I have a friend who hydrates it for 10-15 minutes prior to pitching. Does that in effect act as a starter at all? It seems to get the yeast to "foam up" a little.

Also, can I over pitch? Like if I have an OG of 1.070 or so and I use two packs when 1.5 is called for, will that create a problem?

It is very hard to over pitch in a home brew situation. I am sure it is possible but haven't ever heard of it happening.
If you do not hydrate dry yeast prior pitching you will loose some viability; I have seen claims up to 50%.
If new and stored properly most dry yeast packs are sized properly to be pitched directly. If quality is in doubt you are better off hydrating first.

Yeast starters are done to reduce/eliminate the lag phase where the yeast are slowly multiplying and are a bit stressed out. This is when your wort is most at risk due to contaminates doing the same thing.
You want the guys that you put in to take over not some rouge yeast/bacteria that multiply faster. The best way to do this is to pitch young happy yeast that are ready to feed.

If new and stored properly most dry yeast packs are sized properly to be pitched directly. If quality is in doubt you are better off hydrating first.

When you say pitched directly, do you mean without hydrating?

Back