Driverless semi delivers beer on first run

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yabut, yabut...

Will driverless trucks honk when kids pump their fists? Will they roll coal?

Stupid driverless trucks. I weep for the future.

Now i'm sure it will be a long while before "All the driving jobs go away"
It's on the horizon.
I've been doing driving jobs for a few decades and what once was a good income is at best going to be yet another minimum wage job (or less if it's tipped)
This isn't a "I hate Bud" thread (even though i do hate them) they just coincidently happened to be the first ones doing this (driverless semi loads)
While i don't know exactly how many people depend on driving jobs, i see that number diminishing rapidly in the not so distant future.

Now i'm sure it will be a long while before "All the driving jobs go away"
It's on the horizon.
I've been doing driving jobs for a few decades and what once was a good income is at best going to be yet another minimum wage job (or less if it's tipped)
This isn't a "I hate Bud" thread (even though i do hate them) they just coincidently happened to be the first ones doing this (driverless semi loads)
While i don't know exactly how many people depend on driving jobs, i see that number diminishing rapidly in the not so distant future.

I dunno.

The shipping (marine) and aircraft industries have relied on a level of autonomy for a very long time now but consistently maintain a degree of human supervision with minimal crew for fail safe reasons.

I don't see overland transportation eliminating the need for human supervision, especially in freight industries. If anything it will lessen time/distance/hazmat restrictions currently in place for the drivers. And possibly modify the minimal requirements for operators.

I dunno.. And possibly modify the minimal requirements for operators.

That is a possibility.
That's why i mentioned "Minimum wage job"
Reason...person x now no loner needs to be a CDL holder but anyone with a heartbeat to hit the brakes if the `computer controlls` fail.
That is, assuming that the law will mandate that a human still be present in these vehicles.
Being such a new technology, the GOVT hasn't decided as to what they will allow or not. The D.O.T. in Ohio has been preying off of CDL drivers for years.
I'm sure they will be pissed off if they cannot ticket a big rig driving 56-MPH over the state line because there is no driver. (This is NOT an exaggeration, i've gotten a ticket for 1-MPH over their 55 limit WHILE crossing the state line into Ohio from Indiana)
So Uncle Sam SURELY will have some new laws regarding automated semis....they just haven't written them yet.

Chances are there will be additional requirements for the operators in order to keep it above minimum wage. Something focused on field maintenance/repair of the rigs systems, etc...

Doubt it.
Nobody will want to pay mechanics wages to have them tag along.
Even if they are present there are tools needed to do xyz repairs.
A mechanic is very limited as to what they can fix without said tools.

Like i said, if a person is even required by law to be present, it will be a minimum wage job.

It'll be a very long time before automated trucks are driving on side roads and pulling into loading docks in the ally behind a business. CDLs will be required for these tasks for the foreseeable future, automation will just be used on the highway for now. In time all driving jobs won't be minimum wage, they'll be zero wage. Computers don't get a pay check.

I noticed that they weren't too confident in this first test and made sure to haul a cargo with not too much value....Budweiser. If they were more confident they could hauled a much better beer.:p:D

Back