What's this style?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storytyme

Reaction score
So I have the following recipe, but no style attached to it. What style would it be?

5 gal batch
OG 1.070
FG 1.032
IBU 19
SRM 21
ABV 5.4%

11.5 lb Maris Otter
2 lb 5 oz crystal 60L
7 oz Special B
7 oz Carapils
East Kent Golding Hops @ 60 & 20 min
Safale S-04 yeast

this doesn't fall into any particular style.
where did you get this recipe? & have you made it yet?
with that much crystal & a high FG + a very low IBU I would expect this beer to turn out cloyingly sweet.

Agree that's it's not an identifiable style. It has some characteristics of an Eng. Nut Brown, except that without some specialty malts like Victory and Chocolate, it's going to be more the color of an English Pale Ale, except without the bitterness due to the low IBUs except with some darker, slightly roasty notes. :confused: IOW, no particular style.

this doesn't fall into any particular style.
where did you get this recipe? & have you made it yet?
with that much crystal & a high FG + a very low IBU I would expect this beer to turn out cloyingly sweet.

It was out of the Brew Your Own magazine and it was called Apple Pie Ale. What I purposefully didn't include was apples added at 15 min (8oz) and in secondary (2 lbs) plus a cinnamon stick in the boil. I wanted to make a ten gal batch, 5 gal with the apples and 5 gal without, but it sounds like that half without the apples would be a bit too sweet for my liking.

I may do a blonde instead and add the apples. Not sure if that would even work. thanks.

The apples would add a lot of simple sugars as well as tartness that would help dry out the beer and balance the high sweetness. However...

I really would not recommend adding actual apples at any point, especially not the boil. Why not juice them, or find juice to add instead? I use a standard juicer kitchen appliance to make my own cider every year. A half bushel will give you roughly 1.5 gallons. Also...

To make my own apple ale, which I've made numerous times and which has won awards, I brew a smaller batch of wort and then add the juice to make up the rest of the volume, in an approximate 2:1 ratio or 3:2 or thereabouts. My apple ale is sort of a witbier base but without coriander, as I find the WLP400 yeast gives off a pear/apple ester that complements the real apple quite well.

And like the others said..... man, that's really a LOT of crystal malt. With or without apples or apple juice added, it's going to be way too sweet I would think. Cut WAY back on the crystal, maybe to only about 10-12 oz total. This includes Carapils. Select whether you want Crystal 60 or Carapils, but there's no need to use both.

The apples would add a lot of simple sugars as well as tartness that would help dry out the beer and balance the high sweetness. However...

I really would not recommend adding actual apples at any point, especially not the boil. Why not juice them, or find juice to add instead? I use a standard juicer kitchen appliance to make my own cider every year. A half bushel will give you roughly 1.5 gallons. Also...

To make my own apple ale, which I've made numerous times and which has won awards, I brew a smaller batch of wort and then add the juice to make up the rest of the volume, in an approximate 2:1 ratio or 3:2 or thereabouts. My apple ale is sort of a witbier base but without coriander, as I find the WLP400 yeast gives off a pear/apple ester that complements the real apple quite well.

And like the others said..... man, that's really a LOT of crystal malt. With or without apples or apple juice added, it's going to be way too sweet I would think. Cut WAY back on the crystal, maybe to only about 10-12 oz total. This includes Carapils. Select whether you want Crystal 60 or Carapils, but there's no need to use both.

Great advice. Thank you! What does your grain bill look like for your apple ale? What type of juice do you use if I do not have a juicer?

I like blonde ale and was going to do what you were talking about with a basic blonde ale recipe but not sure if that would really work or not.

If you live near any apple orchards, use their juice, fresh or frozen, without any preservatives (sulfite, sorbate, benzoate) if you can find it. If it is pasteurized, that's just fine.

Here's a link to my recipe. Borrow or steal as you see fit. Note: This is a 3-gallon batch, where you brew 2 gallons and add 1 gallons juice. Scale up or down as appropriate.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/t/apple-ale/6671/2

If you live near any apple orchards, use their juice, fresh or frozen, without any preservatives (sulfite, sorbate, benzoate) if you can find it. If it is pasteurized, that's just fine.

Here's a link to my recipe. Borrow or steal as you see fit. Note: This is a 3-gallon batch, where you brew 2 gallons and add 1 gallons juice. Scale up or down as appropriate.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/t/apple-ale/6671/2

Great. Thank you!

Back