What beer styles and/or yeast to do diacetyl rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

safedude

Reaction score
Is diacetyl resting limited to specific styles of beer or yeast strains? I did it for a lager a while back, but haven't brewed in a bit. I'm thinking of brewing an APA using us-05 - fermented somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-65 degrees. Should I warm it up to room temp (72ish) before kegging?

Diacetyl is produced most significantly by lager strains and English strains. US-05 shouldn't give you any noticeable diacetyl. No need to warm up a fermentation in the 60s, although it doesn't hurt either. It's up to you and you'll make diacetyl-free beer either way.

Diacetyl is produced most significantly by lager strains and English strains. US-05 shouldn't give you any noticeable diacetyl. No need to warm up a fermentation in the 60s, although it doesn't hurt either. It's up to you and you'll make diacetyl-free beer either way.

Awesome, thanks!

I always ferment at 64-66F (for more ales) and then after krausen has fallen I increase to 72F at 2F per day. It sits there for a few days before cold crashing.

Does it help? I don't know, but it makes me sleep better at night.

Back