How much lactose to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am making an oatmeal chocolate stout that I want to taste really chocolatey. I'm going for something like Sam Smith's chocolate stout . Not necessarily that exact beer but something similar. My question is how much lactose should I add in my boil? I want that sweet, full body taste and feeling in this beer. I am experimenting and building off of an oatmeal stout recipe . So do you folks think 1lbs or should I go .75lbs first and take it from there? Thanks !

Since you can add lactose at any point during the process, I would suggest starting with 0.5-0.75 lb per 5 gallons. You can add more later if it needs it, but that amount should be enough.

I usually go with five to eight ounces per 2.5 gallon batch, so I second the .5 to .75 lb per five gallon suggestion. I have added it during the boil and I have added it at kegging time as well. Either way works fine. For this one, I would go with .75 and see how you like it and add or subtract as necessary for the next batch.

Back