New Jersey The nightmare of CO2 acquisition that is northern NJ!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheYoshi

Reaction score
Man, just moved to NJ (Kinnelon) from Austin, TX. I've lived all over the country but I've never experienced anything like this place when it comes to the simple act of getting a filled CO2 tank.

I'm still in the process of setting up my brewery in the new place (basement, going full electric, great well water... excited!) but in the meantime I thought I'd get my kegerator fired up and running. Naturally the movers wouldn't take filled CO2 tanks so I emptied my two tanks and moved them on up.

What I'm used to is being able to get the things filled at my local homebrew store (Austin Homebrew used to be it) or just swapping them at basically any liquor store where I bought kegs.

None of that happens here, and all the places that seem to deal with them have annoying hours like 10-4 M-F only (welding supply stores, etc.). Anyone else in NJ run into this? What's the secret? I'm not used to this being such a challenge, I've been force carbonating for years since I'm too impatient to bottle so I'm curious what others here are doing.

I use Airgas on Iron Horse Road in Oakland. They are only open 8-4:30 M-F, but a quick stop on many a lunch hours for me!

check out paintball shops. they have C02 and hours are retail oriented (i.e. evenings and weekends).

+1 on Love2Brew. They exchange clean, recent 5 gallon tanks, and it's a great LHBS that also has a robust online business. It's technically in Paterson but literally across the river/border from Fair Lawn, so it's easy and safe to visit.

You also live close to Cask & Kettle in Boonton, but they don't deal with CO2.

AirGas in Oakland fills tanks as well, although last time I was forced to exchange mine. I realize you got these recommendations already, but I thought I'd reinforce them.

HTH

Back