Keezer Excessive Freezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auhoppymatt

Reaction score
Been looking through all these topics and not sure what the right answer is. Feedback is appreciated.

I have a Johnson controller
I have the probe in a mason jar of water fixed to the collar
I have an Eva dry I recharge every 2 weeks
I have a computer fan recirculating my air inside
I have placed a light inside and see no light coming out (looking for significant leaks)
I have pvc and grating on the bottom to keep the kegs off the bottom

Despite all of that, I have significant (3-4") of ice built up around the base of my kegs.

Suggestions? Was thinking of adding another Eva dry, and another fan to circulate the air in the pvc. Maybe revisiting the probe layout?

I have the same problem, ice forms on the walls of my keezer(I hate that term). It's frozen the beer in a couple of kegs(always in the front corner) even though the temp control is set at 39F. When the ice gets real thick, I take my long handled burger flipper and just peel the ice off the sides. To keep the kegs from freezing I just slip a piece of corrugated cardboard between the keg and the freezer wall. The free shipping boxes from the post office are perfect for this.

Have you tried leaving your temp probe hang loosely in the middle of the keezer (off a keg, say, not touching anything), not in a jar of water?

I'm going to hypothesize that your offset temp difference (where it clicks on and where it clicks off) is fairly wide. Thus, when the jar of water gets up to the "turn on" temp, it takes a while for the freezer to get it down to your target temp. That means that freezer is running long enough to get that water down to temp, not the air in the keezer down to temp. So it runs a good long time, and gets very cold.

In my setup, the air in the keezer never gets below the set temp, but in your setup, it surely does, as the freezer keeps running until it cools the water sufficiently.

Try using air temp instead and see what happens.

Back