How long do you tincture?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotwatermusic

Reaction score
I have a porter going that got a tincture of coffee and vanilla beans, extracted with Vodka. I added it to secondary after the beer had finished, confirmed with hydrometer, but have noticed some tiny, tiny bubbles creeping up into the neck of the carboy. No krausen or anything but there is something happening. I will taste it in a couple weeks but for now I'm wondering if some small amount of bacteria or wild yeast could have survived the tincture process. This was the main point of the exercise, sanitary concerns. The beer was 6.6% to begin with and after the vodka probably over 7%. I figure the beer will turn out but it got me wondering (finally)... How long do people let their tinctures go in terms of hoping to kill off bugs etc.? I know the flavors can extract faster but what's the consensus on killing with a standard 80 proof liquor?

Back