Grapefruit gone, phhhff, gone like that

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
I've been experimenting infusing my beer with grapefruit, by adding 1/4ml of a grapefruit&orange tincture directly to the glass. Works wonderfully.

Not long ago I brewed a great IPA, hands down the best I've done so far and I decided to add an equivalent amount of this tincture at bottling time. I double the douse in a couple of bottles so I could compare later on.

Bottle condition forward 2 weeks ... nothing ... gone, yeast got it.
You could not tell the difference between the bottles with or without, even those with double douse.

So I am back at dousing directly in the glass, but what's the deal?

Load up on Amarillo + Simcoe in the late boil and dry-hop. Tastes just like grapefruit to me, without any grapefruit.

I used some "Brewers Best" grapefruit adjunct and it worked great, just do it sparingly. About a quarter ounce in 5 gallons. I put in in the keg and racked onto it. If you bottle just add it to your bottling bucket. It was there for the entire keg though. Or use grapefruity hops in abundance.

I make a Grapefruit candi syrup and it shines through after fermentation. It will be available soon look for Age Old Brewing Candi. Also have a Pineapple candi syrup, soooo gooood! Shameless linkage lol -Ageoldbrewingcandi.com

Back