Potentially just messed up first batch...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrestlenrun

Reaction score
So I decided to finally try brewing a batch, and after watching a bunch of YouTube videos, I thought I was ready. However, I now know that all of the videos used star-san as a sanitizer, but my kit came with B-Brite. Thus, I did not rinse my equipment after I used the B-Brite, a fact which I found out after I was done with the process of putting my wort in the primary fermenter.

So...

1) Will drinking the beer cause me and/or my friends to die a horrible death?
2) Will the beer turn out any good?
3) Why am I such an idiot?

Thanks for the help...

1) Nope
2) Time will tell. Should be fine
3) Can't help you there ;)

Worst thing you can do now is worry.

1. Maybe. It could be a peaceful death too. Neither of the outcomes are likely to be caused by your beer unless they consume to excess and get in a car accident on the way home.
2. That will depend on how much B-bright was left in the different containers. Soap leads to soapy flavors. Well diluted soap will not so if you didn't leave any except what was on the surfaces it probably won't be detectable.
3. Blame it on your parents or your friends.

1. No
2. B-Brite is an oxidizing cleaner (hydrogen peroxide). So, your biggest risk is oxidation of the wort, depending upon how much was left on your equipment when you introduced the beer. It'll probably be fine.
3. I second RM-MN's suggestion.

One more point bucketnative made me think of, Oxidation of the wort is probably unlikely since the yeast need oxygen in the respiration phase anyway.

1. Don't tell anyone and make sure your friends try it first.
2. It'll be Killer! :)
3. You're a homebrewer. It's a really big club.

Back