Can I use part of yeast package?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff_brew

Reaction score
This is my first brew of cider, or anything for that matter.
The brew store suggested Lallemand Windsor or Mangrove Jack's Craft Series MO2 Cider yeast.
Do I refrigerate or freeze leftover yeast? The brew store guy said use the entire contents since all should be used at once. But, I thought I'd read other folks using partial packets and re-using the rest later.
Also the Windsor calls for rehydration in water prior to use, but the other
does not. Think I can just put the Windsor directly into the juice without the hydration step? I wasn't sure how 4oz of extra water would affect the flavor.

thx.

Being your first adventure, I'd suggest using the entire contents until you've obtained a comfortable consistency of finished product.

Being your first adventure, I'd suggest using the entire contents until you've obtained a comfortable consistency of finished product.

Thanks for the advice. Part of my question was whether I can save part of the package though. Once opened, must I use it all or can I store the remainder for later use? How to store? room temp, frige, freezer?

thx.

The issue isn't so much the survival of the yeast cells, it's the chance of it being contaminated. The buck saved isn't worth the chance of infection of the batch you use the leftover yeast on. I usually just overpitch or throw away leftover yeast.

I brew small batches (1-2 gallons), so I rarely use a whole yeast package at one time. After pitching a portion of the pack, I usually just roll up the remainder, tape it closed, and store it in the fridge. I'm not saying that this will never lead to a contaminated batch, but in 2+ years I haven't had any problems. IMO, dry yeast seems pretty hardy

I've intentionally used only half a packet of Fermentis dry S-04 and S-05 to see what happens in store-bought apple juice. Those were one gallon apple juice jugs, though. If I was doing 3gal. or more, I'd use the whole packet just to be safe
That said, I've also experimented with top-cropping ale yeast from an actively fermenting wort. That sample immediately went into a starter and into another wort within a few hours. It doubles your mileage on yeast usage and makes for a fun experiment.

**I also have a packet of WLP-820 in my refrigerator that's a couple months past its one year viability date. Maybe I'll dump that in a starter to see how it pans out because there's some leftover LME, DME, carapils, and hops laying around from last year. With a couple tweaks, I could make an extract cobbledy-patch of something I'd call "SchnitFest ... LOL**

This is my first brew of cider, or anything for that matter.
The brew store suggested Lallemand Windsor or Mangrove Jack's Craft Series MO2 Cider yeast.
Do I refrigerate or freeze leftover yeast?

thx.

Yes you can use partial packets of yeast. I make the odd small batch of cider and 1 pack of yeast is too much.

Refrigerate what you don't use. Seal it as best you can. Tape and a baggie or a vacuum sealer work well.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The issue isn't so much the survival of the yeast cells, it's the chance of it being contaminated. The buck saved isn't worth the chance of infection of the batch you use the leftover yeast on. I usually just overpitch or throw away leftover yeast.

Makes sense. I see others have some success using portions of the packet, but I do get the risk. Thanks for explaining.

I would think the risk of contamination would be low, but help yourself:

-rinse the package off before you sanitize it.
-sanitize the packet before opening
-sanitize your scissors before opening
-wash your hands before handling the sanitized package.
-roll + seal the remaining package and put it at least in a lidded container. better to vac seal.

if you did all this i can't imagine you'd introduce enough contaminants to screw up a sufficiently pitched batch.

Thanks Gavin. Is that Earth Fair cider? It looks the same as what I'm using. I wondered what size stopper you use? I'm using #7, but they don't fit unless I dry off both surfaces and really squash them in. When wet, they slide up and pop off. It just seemed like the #6.5's were so much smaller than 7's. I'm creating my next 2 gallons now and am this time using Safale S-04 and have added 1/2 tsp of pectin as you are. I'm not re-hydrating but I am using approx 1/2 package for each. I know that's overkill, but I read that I shouldn't store opened S-04 for more than a week in the frige, so that's why.

You never said how big you batch was.
Sorry; 1 gallon each. I'm doing 2 more gallons now using Safale S-04.
I feel really uncoordinated doing this stuff right now because it seems nearly impossible to keep everything sterile. I spray things down with Star San, but I don't have the patience to wait til it dries. And wet or dry, I'm afraid to set anything down on the counter once I spray them. I just sprayed a half teaspoon (the spoon itself) in order to put in the pectin. I went ahead and shook off the excess and then poured in the pectin. It left residual granules on the spoon as expected. I don't yet have a feel for how easy it might be to contaminate, nor what the effects might be. I've read that stuff can grown imparting bad flavors. At this stage I might not know the difference. Should I be ultra paranoid about using Star San ?

Maybe I'll do four 1 gallon ferments at a time and split a package amongst them. I hate to waste them. That is until I decide to jump up to the 5 gallon carboy stage.

I've intentionally used only half a packet of Fermentis dry S-04 and S-05 to see what happens in store-bought apple juice. Those were one gallon apple juice jugs, though. If I was doing 3gal. or more, I'd use the whole packet just to be safe
That said, I've also experimented with top-cropping ale yeast from an actively fermenting wort. That sample immediately went into a starter and into another wort within a few hours. It doubles your mileage on yeast usage and makes for a fun experiment.

**I also have a packet of WLP-820 in my refrigerator that's a couple months past its one year viability date. Maybe I'll dump that in a starter to see how it pans out because there's some leftover LME, DME, carapils, and hops laying around from last year. With a couple tweaks, I could make an extract cobbledy-patch of something I'd call "SchnitFest ... LOL**

Thanks. I think with all the contamination warnings, I'll plan better next time and try to do 2 to 4 at a time and split the package between them so as not to waste.

Thanks Gavin. Is that Earth Fair cider? It looks the same as what I'm using. I wondered what size stopper you use? I'm using #7, but they don't fit unless I dry off both surfaces and really squash them in. When wet, they slide up and pop off. It just seemed like the #6.5's were so much smaller than 7's. I'm creating my next 2 gallons now and am this time using Safale S-04 and have added 1/2 tsp of pectin as you are. I'm not re-hydrating but I am using approx 1/2 package for each. I know that's overkill, but I read that I shouldn't store opened S-04 for more than a week in the frige, so that's why.

It's from Central Market here in Texas.

$8 for a gallon and a glass fermentor. The same empty 1 gallon jugs sell for $8 at LHBS.

6.5 size stopper as far as I know. When they are wet they don't want to stay put, just wait till they dry and cinch it down.

Pectic enzyme. I use about 1/8tsp for a gallon

I keep my s-05 stored as shown for months in the fridge. No problems. s-04 should behave no differently.

I suspect 6.5 is the one that's best. I cleaned/dried off the inner
bottle neck with paper towel and also the stopper, then put rubbing alcohol on both which dried quickly. That worked except for one stubborn one I had to do twice. These bungs just a little too big. thx.

Back