Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > More maple ?'s Have you succeeded in making a maple beer?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default More maple ?'s Have you succeeded in making a maple beer?

Has anyone succeeded in making a truly good maple beer? This question seems to be more contentuous than "what motoroil to use in a motorcycle?" or "can dirt be made into biodiesel?" or "Does God exist and what is his address?" on other forums I read. How, when and what Maple syrup to use? This is about as straight as I can get the picture:

Priming with Maple Syrup: Some flavor, under over carbing of bottles, sometimes too sweet.

Gallon in the secondary: Little maple flavor, mixing problems at times

Gallon in the primary: Maple wine with little maple flavor as it ferments out dry

Gallon in last 15-20 mins of boil: Super dry beer again with almost non existent maple flavor

Fenugreek: Supposed maple flavored herb where no one seems to have definitive results of end products having used this.

Grade B seems to be the standard "what to use" and I am thinking of using it in the secondary of an Oatmeal Stout that bubbles away on day 4 of primary. Finding it is a more difficult prospect than I imagined .

So has anyone succeeded with a maple beer and how did you do it? Did you get the balance of good Maple flavor at the right sweetness?

Primary: Yard Ale (wild hop)
Primary2: Cascade IPA
Secondary: -
Bottled: Brown Ale
Bottled: Sweet Stout
Kegged: Sweet Stout II
Kegged: Basil Pale
Kegged: Smoked Ale
Old 03-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 6326 Times on 5360 Posts
Likes Given: 83

A long time ago I added a bottle (12 or 16 Ounce) Grade B Dark Maple to a 5 Gallon California Common kit. The batch is now about 1.5 years old and it is delicious. A nice woody note in the finish and a little dry.

Maple is good but, it may need some time.